Hammer recommendations...

Crann

Been using a cheap hammer from the start, it has been good but not sure if I'm missing out on quality of some breaks or not ? Eastwing seem popular and expensive but they do look like would do a good job, any recommendations ? Thanks.

Only hammers I have ever used estwing, bricklayer, point and 2 pound hand mini sledge....... Lost my bricklayer at the end of the season. Hope Santa comes this year.......

Estwing, ... all the way. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have used many different brands of hammer. Estwing are the best for durability but I honestly have not seen a difference in performance between the cheapest hammer from the hardware store and the best Estwing for the most part.

The only one I can truly say I didn't care for was a bricklayer made by Kobalt. It does not feel right in my hands.

I have seen the difference between the cheapest hardware store hammer and an Estwing. I once forgot my rockpick and picked up the cheapest hardware store hammer... 5 bucks here in the US.  And it broke within the first half hour of using it on rocks. Probably made in China, but this was years before China was flooding the world with products that don;t work.  (Anyone out there ever bought batteries in Africa?)  Get Estwing quality and you won't have to replace it... as long as you don't loose it.  

You get what you pay for, and Estwing is worth the extra money for its reliability. You can put them through a lot of punishment and still end up willing them to the kids when you die. Depending on how much you plan on using it, I find the Estwing pays for itself if you use it often. The design is very good in terms of distributing shock and in weight balance.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

46 minutes ago, jpc said:

I have seen the difference between the cheapest hardware store hammer and an Estwing. I once forgot my rockpick and picked up the cheapest hardware store hammer... 5 bucks here in the US.  And it broke within the first half hour of using it on rocks. Probably made in China, but this was years before China was flooding the world with products that don;t work.  (Anyone out there ever bought batteries in Africa?)  Get Estwing quality and you won't have to replace it... as long as you don't loose it.  

Thus my comment about Estwing's durability. :D I will say, I have used my Estwing hammers in ways specifically denounced by all manufacturers as well as people in their right minds with no ill consequences. :P

This is the one I've been using for about 2 years with no problems apart from a little grip slip at the top, cheap and works but not used anything else as still new to this and this was to test if I was interested, thanks.

20171106_102943.jpg

Of course Estwing is top notch but I’ve been happy with mine from Plumb: 

https://www.amazon.com/Plumb-SS20BH-20-Ounce-Solid-Hammer/dp/B000787WLU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1512450007&sr=8-6&keywords=Brick+hammer+plumb

I would avoid hammers with wooden handles and go with the one-piece forged steel designs.

Archived