Big Dinosaur Bone Needs ID

Rank Amateur

• This is the last of the fossils I got from an estate. There's no information on it. I don't know where it came from. It is a good sized one, though. It is about a foot (31 cm) long. 

Fossil_~_Large_Dinosaur_Bone_(Poor_Format)_Pic1_Front.jpg

We need pictures from other main angles to be able to tell you more than it’s a worn bone, possibly part of a leg bone, but without that it’s a chunkasaurs

Here's another picture, hopefully more informative, of a bone I got from an estate. I really know nothing about it. I did know slightly the last owner and while he wasn't a paleontologist, he was an expert in old things. (Intentionally vague.) He did say it was a fossil of some sort though he didn't know what kind. This is a continuation of a topic I started yesterday. I don't know how everybody but me can put in more than one photograph in this forum. I've got my camera formatted so that it takes hugely pixelated photographs and I still can't fit two pictures in this forum. Beware: I've got another topic (same topic) following just so I can get a third picture in.5a25cb864bc38_Fossil__Large_Dinosaur_Bone_(Poor_Format)_Pic2_Back.thumb.jpg.9b4ab74052cdd237b254a7992384367c.jpg

There is a 4mb limit per post.  Just add more pictures in the reply section. Your bone is what we call a chunkasaurus basically nothing that is diagnostic to say what it is.  Sorry.

I really don’t think you’ll get any positive ID unfortunately. To get an ID you would need to know where it was found and there would need to be more of you fossil to establish what part of an animal it cane from. We call pieces like this ‘chunkosaurus’. 

When posting for an ID you need to provide as many images from different angles and include, preferably, a metric scale but an inch ruler as you’ve provided works well too. Coins don’t work apart from those that live in the country that recognises them as currency. :) 

Topics merged.  ;) 

Photos brightened and cropped. 

Fossil___Large_Dinosaur_Bone_(Poor_Format)_Pic1_Front.jpg.7467aeb0f982f345a2f3d6c042b8bd5a.jpg

Fossil___Large_Dinosaur_Bone_(Poor_Format)_Pic2_Back.jpg.9ea3930056fe89e4537e499c734dcdc9.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you, everyone. I'm writing this fossil down/up as a "chunkasaur", thanks to you. Maybe in the future I'll be able to submit TWO pictures. Again, thanks to you. No need to reply to the last picture I'm submitting, unless you really want to. I consider this matter closed. Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Fossil_~_Large_Dinosaur_Bone,_Unidentified_Pic3_Top.jpg

going to add my two cents here based upon what other material you have posted i don't think this is dinosaur, from the first picture the periosteum seems to flow in a direction which indicates a curve and possible that it was coming to an end, sorry if my explanation of this is bad.

Archived