pyritized ammo's

RJB

I ran into these the other day and have no idea where I got them.  I got these many many years ago.  Im hoping someone can tell me more info?  I know, tuff to tell without formation and all that, but really have no idea.  Im thinking north africa?  Gots about 200 or 300 of these little things.  I dont want them, just tryiing to figure out all the info so i can sell them. 

RB

DSCN1333.JPG

I could be very wrong, but some of the ones closest to the camera appear to be of the genus Hildoceras. 

From Another Galaxy? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

There are definitely some Hildoceras bifrons among them, which means Toarcian and could very well point to southern France where there are a good number of sites which produce such fauna in Causses and Aveyron.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Sounds like we need @fifbrindacier‘s thoughts. Isn’t she from France and into ammonites among other things?

RJB sounds like you have some interested clients already.

I 2nd @nimbus‘s response :drool:, but I think there may be others who didn’t admit to drooling yet.

Yes, I also wonder how you could possibly forget you have a box of these just laying around. Clearly you have too many good fossils to handle on your own.:P

7 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Really? 

Look like Aveyron to me. 

You have me pegged for someone far more knowledgeable in ammonites than I in fact am :P. Lyme regis is just the only place with pyrite ammonites I could think of

Tragiphylloceras,Calliphylloceras,Hildoceras,Leptechioceras,Radstockisceras,Polymorphites,Uptonia,Tropidoceras,Liparoceras,Becheiceras,Beaniceras

Androgynoceras,Amaltheus and about fifteen others are possibilities

edit: I'll let it stand,but I'm not happy with the post*,even before the remark made below by Ludwigia.

*with the provenance not known,it was not entirely sensible to post 

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Tragiphylloceras,Calliphylloceras,Hildoceras,Leptechioceras,Radstockisceras,Polymorphites,Uptonia,Tropidoceras,Liparoceras,Becheiceras,Beaniceras

Androgynoceras,Amaltheus and about fifteen others are possibilities

For France, or for the whole world? I don't see any Pliensbachian or Sinemurian ammos in the photos.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'd go with @Ludwigia as far as possible provenance. It is my understanding there are a few layers across Europe and N. Africa that produce pyritized Ammonites so the best bet is to try and ID a few species and see if you can narrow down the locality. Just as an example, @Robert Field posted about a trip to Villers sur Mer in NE France where he found pyritized ammonites in the Oxfordian stage clays: 

With Ludwiga suggesting Toarcian (about 180 mya) and the Oxfordian being about 160 mya you have a wide range. I have specimens from both locations in my collection (thanks @nala!) and have yet to ID all of them. Post some closer photo's of several different types and the experts here can take a crack at identifying them.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

17 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

You have me pegged for someone far more knowledgeable in ammonites than I in fact am :P. Lyme regis is just the only place with pyrite ammonites I could think of

The pyritised ammos from Lyme/Charmouth preserve slightly differently, well the ones I have found. A lot of the ammos from there are from the beef layers. :) 

I think pics of the hinge and apertures, mostly of the more preserved ones, would help precise their identification. I'll follow @Ludwigia on this.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived