trilobite cast?

austinswamp

Good evening, I found this along a creek bed near Austin, Texas and was curious what y'all think it might be. This creek has shark teeth, urchins, and mollusks throughout. Thanks

IMG_20171203_135616.jpg

Trilobites were wiped out in the end-Permian Extinction, so since this piece is from cretaceous sediments, it's unfortunately not a trilobite. Additionally, I'm not seeing diagnostic features that would suggest a trilobite, further ruling out that possibility.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

52 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Trilobites were wiped out in the end-Permian Extinction, so since this piece is from cretaceous sediments, it's unfortunately not a trilobite. Additionally, I'm not seeing diagnostic features that would suggest a trilobite, further ruling out that possibility.

Good to know, thanks for that

It looks like a cross section of part of a crinoid stem to me. Although there are things that might suggest otherwise but can’t prove anything as far as I know. (Rounded instead of parallel sides and completely connected at top and bottom) this could indicate something else, but I think it’s just the way it’s bernn worn visible.

IMG_20171203_135616.jpg.74bdccc364063d430990deaba3534e42.thumb.jpg.89c1782e627a7f625eaa37f679040ba4.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.6f843593cdbe298c1a5c5244737ea0a9.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library