I might have one this time!

kerrimarie805

Fingers crossed, I think there's a real fossil in this mess! I accidentally chipped the part I think is a fossil, bone or shell maybe, with my tile nippers trying to chip away the bigger rocks in the conglomerate-- the nippers are for sherd crafts ONLY from now on! However, the pattern of lines in the part in question is as it was when I found it in the lower canal along the Delaware river near Pt. Pleasant,  PA. My husband, King of Pareidolia, thinks it's a turtle. I'm not going to see things I can't hypothesize on, I'm here instead.

20171204_095312.thumb.jpg.657b042c73160b976eb7cc89e3ebdcfe.jpg

It looks like a small chunk of concrete to me. That is not to say that there couldn’t be a fossil included in it, but nothing in the picture stands out to me as being one. Can we see a few more pictures of it from different angles in good lighting to confirm an ID? 

Sorry, but I do not see it being a fossil here. It looks like a chalk or clay cobble that has cracked up in the conglomerate. 

It does have a superficial appearance of a turtle shell, but has none of the internal characteristics.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Me, too, actually. It feels like chalk, has no darkening of organic matter like bone would, and looks nothing like my turtle shell. I still get to tell my husband he is wrong and I was less wrong, tho, so thanks for working it out for me!

3 minutes ago, KraZshardLady said:

has no darkening of organic matter like bone would,

Color of a fossil can vary quite a lot. I have seen bone and shell fossils the same color as the "turtle shell" in Your piece.

Most of the time, tho, bone darkens as it fossilizes, yes? Or areas of the bone, even if a small area, will look darker than bone as we think of it and still show cell structure under a microscope and smell funky under the hot needle test -- generally...?

7 minutes ago, KraZshardLady said:

Most of the time, tho, bone darkens as it fossilizes, yes? Or areas of the bone, even if a small area, will look darker than bone as we think of it and still show cell structure under a microscope and smell funky under the hot needle test -- generally...?

Depends on the mineral that is available for the mineralization of the bone.

Other minerals will stain a bone long before it starts to fossilize. This can make a recent bone look like a fossil.

The bad smell from heating bone indicates that it is recent and not a fossil. It is the calogin of the bone that makes the smell, and it is the first thing to break down when a bone is fossilized.

• I found this Informative 1

Spur of the moment shot so apologies if the pic is not good enough to say for sure, but this shows the dark streak showing what I am talking about.  The second pic shows two pieces on the right with areas that are not as dark but darkened,  I think these are all bone.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Depends on the mineral that is available for the mineralization of the bone.

Other minerals will stain a bone long before it starts to fossilize. This can make a recent bone look like a fossil.

The bad smell from heating bone indicates that it is recent and not a fossil. It is the calogin of the bone that makes the smell, and it is the first thing to break down when a bone is fossilized.

That clarifies info from prior informants, thank you. 

2 minutes ago, KraZshardLady said:

Spur of the moment shot so apologies if the pic is not good enough to say for sure, but this shows the dark streak showing what I am talking about.  The second pic shows two pieces on the right with areas that are not as dark but darkened,  I think these are all bone.

I do not see bone in the last pieces posted, they look like minerals.

Better pictures may change that opinion.

3 minutes ago, KraZshardLady said:

What about the first pic?

Yeah, the one with four pieces in it.

It would help if You make sure the pictures are in focus. Take the pictures straight on - not at an angle.

It also helps to have more angles of the piece, front, back and side.

It's too dark in my apartment and my phone camera sucks. You're a trooper, tho, so I'll get better shots tomorrow!

On 04/12/2017 at 7:31 PM, KraZshardLady said:

First, tell me this is a turtle shell so I can muster the strength to keep trying...20171204_142913.thumb.jpg.2a3a31d26ad88288e849460bdf5a254a.jpg

Well if I found that I’d have been convinced it was turtle!

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Well if I found that I’d have been convinced it was turtle!

The one I needed IDd was just chalk, tho, sad face! That's a turtle shell, no doubt, and I have two!

I'll add a photo of the inside of the shell cuz it's very cool and kinda gross! Who knew that turtles have a bony shell attached by a spine similar looking to ours all covered in a green skin? Harry and vnot probably did, but I always thought turtle shells were green turtle shell tissue, rather than skin covered bone.