President Reduces Size of 2 National Monuments

fossilnoggin

Likely not. The lands either reverted to private hands (if they were originally donated or taken) or to the BLM which is just as draconian in what you may collect.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Probably not. Most of the land is BLM so they will continue to let the fossils erode away. 

There’s also coal and oils in those hills, likely if it were to fall into private lands the would be bought up by large companies which would likely not allow fossil collecting due to the liability involved .

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I spent a couple weeks in 2008 & 2009 backpacking in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and I never saw any fossils with the exception of the petrified wood exposed at the Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, which you cannot collect. Grand Staircase is a very beautiful place to hike and if you are ever in the area, you should check it out.

5a26176a02356_GrandStaircase-Escalante1110-1.thumb.jpg.0b58660dcd3dcf1961e193837e88cd4c.jpg

Grand_Staircase-_Escalante_1_034.thumb.JPG.de36a2ed1a3cdb2e4ff94d4a1536e9d8.JPG

Grand_Staircase-_Escalante_1_457.thumb.JPG.403608e406b9ab9e3149ed2b866dace3.JPG

Nope. This is just to allow corporations to harvest resources. I've been hoping to some sort of loosening of regulations on the fossils, but doubt they do anything with it. 

Archived