large mammal canine

garyc

Found this bad boy today. It still has a little enamel on the tip. I've been looking at bear, wolf and cat. Leaning toward cat, but need expert opinions please.

DSCN0088.JPG

DSCN0094.JPG

DSCN0096.JPG

Epic tooth! I’m leaning cat as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Is this way down South near the Gulf? All kinds of cool stuff seems to have been uncovered by the hurricane and flooding.

That is a pretty cool find.

Can’t get rid of those peccary. We still got ‘em. I’ve been out camping near Aransas Pass and got woke up by a little heard of them grunting, snorting and squealing  around for breakfast very early in the morning. They’re a bit skiddish and shy. Better than the wild boar we have though.

That's one I had not considered. Thanks Harry. I was hoping for big cat, but peccary is cool too. 

Kim, Harvey did tear things up quite a bit. I'm hoping to get out there more.

Gary I found a similar tooth this past summer and initially thought carnivore as well but it ended up being peccary.  The enamel (or where its lacking) and peculiar wear surface/facet that results from the upper and lower canine "self-sharpening" each other led me to conclude my tooth was an upper canine.  Yours appears to be a lower right canine based on what I perceive as the sharpened surface or facet at the tip.  (A second look and I can't say from the photos if its upper or lower.)

I found this article helpful...

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/peccary-teeth-are-scary/

Particularly this illustration...

peccary-dentition-Charles-Knight-1849-Aug-2011.jpg

9 hours ago, rwhitty2012 said:

Fossil porpoise tooth maybe? That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the photo.

I can see a resemblance, but the Brazos where I'm at is 99.9% pleistocene terrestrials. I have found a couple of shark teeth, a shark vert and a sawfish tooth but those are most likely washed down from far up river. The pictures may not show it, but after looking at Harry's line drawings and some other pics on line, I can clearly see the side that has been worn down by an upper canine that is indicative of peccary teeth.

14 hours ago, garyc said:

I can see a resemblance, but the Brazos where I'm at is 99.9% pleistocene terrestrials. I have found a couple of shark teeth, a shark vert and a sawfish tooth but those are most likely washed down from far up river. The pictures may not show it, but after looking at Harry's line drawings and some other pics on line, I can clearly see the side that has been worn down by an upper canine that is indicative of peccary teeth.

With the wear facet on the outside of the curve, Gary, your find is an upper canine.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived