"Haarlem Specimen" Not an Archaeopteryx, but related to Anchiornis

LordTrilobite

So apparently one of the rare Archaeopteryx fossils, the Haarlem specimen in Holland to be precise, turns out to be not an Archaeopteryx at all but a more primitive featured dinosaur closely related to the Chinese Anchiornis. This specimen from Bavaria, Germany was found (in 1855) well before Archaeopteryx was described and was originally misidentified as a Pterosaur. Only later was it identified as a feathered Archaeopteryx, which now it turns out might also not be completely accurate. With it now being described as an Anchiornithid, that makes it the only species of this group outside China.

The Haarlem specimen has been named Ostromia crassipes.

Open access paper

https://bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12862-017-1076-y

A number of years ago I made a drawing of this specimen, I suppose I need to update it now :ighappy:

My drawing, which also shows what remains are actually present on this specimen.

haarlem_archaeopteryx_by_olofmoleman-d1g

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

i had the dream of once visiting this specimen because it is reletivly close to where i live, but now have to travel to berlin to see the nearest specimen of archeoptryx  :ank:

but it is more exiting to see a real archeoptryx though.

1 hour ago, Spinosaurus said:

i had the dream of once visiting this specimen because it is reletivly close to where i live, but now have to travel to berlin to see the nearest specimen of archeoptryx  :ank:

but it is more exiting to see a real archeoptryx though.

The London specimen might be closer