Hell Creek Triceratops And A Pleisiosaur

John K

My friend, who I fondly refer to as "The Troll" (that's him in my avatar, on the left...), made a couple donations to the local Universities collection recently (last year, I think...) The Troll is now living in Montana, and does a lot of collecting, but he (along with myself) is an alumni of the UW-River Falls, which actually has a very nice Earth Science program, including a very good Paleontology program (under Prof. Mike Middleton, if that rings any bells...)

Anyway, The Troll and a friend of his made a nice pleisiosaur find, which they donated to the University, which includes most of the spinal column, in pretty good condition, along with a couple of the paddles. All I got photos of were the verts, as the paddles were rolling around in a box, and there was a class coming in, so I didn't have time to put them together:

PleisVert.jpg

PleisVertII.jpg

PleisVertIII.jpg

Word is, they were going to go back out this spring to look for the head; they were hoping it was going to be one of the few ever found. I haven't heard whether or not they found anything.

Prof Mike also showed me a fairly complete Hell Creek Triceratops vert that another student had found and donated back to the school:

TriTopsVert.jpg

My friend, who I fondly refer to as "The Troll" (that's him in my avatar, on the left...), made a couple donations to the local Universities collection recently (last year, I think...) The Troll is now living in Montana, and does a lot of collecting, but he (along with myself) is an alumni of the UW-River Falls, which actually has a very nice Earth Science program, including a very good Paleontology program (under Prof. Mike Middleton, if that rings any bells...)

Anyway, The Troll and a friend of his made a nice pleisiosaur find, which they donated to the University, which includes most of the spinal column, in pretty good condition, along with a couple of the paddles. All I got photos of were the verts, as the paddles were rolling around in a box, and there was a class coming in, so I didn't have time to put them together:

WOW! :drool:

Wow.

He's a better man that me -- I would have kept them. :blush:

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

So awesome.

I think my fossil-related goal in life is to someday find anything of scientific importance that I can donate to someone who will study it!

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

"The Troll"; must be a story behind that nickname...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived