Pneumatic Engraving Pen

Godofgods

Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a pneumatic pen to start preparing fossils but my budjet is limited, I saw the chicago cp710 or 9160. Does anyone have opinions or thoughts about it?

Thanks

My budget suggestion is All Air Products 8315B. If you order, tell them you are using it for fossil prep they will send a longer stylus instead of the shorter one.

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I just sprung for a CP-9361  I hope I made the right choice. 

It very much depends on the matrix you'll be dealing with.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Kane said:

It very much depends on the matrix you'll be dealing with.

And the fossils themselves. The CP9361 isn't a detail scribe. It's for blowing through matrix. The ARO is a more all around scribe. You get a bit of detail ability with mediocre volume removal.

There's really no one size fits all scribe. I use 3 (CP9361, ARO, Micro Jack 4) with plans to buy a Mighty Jack and Micro Jack 1 or 2 to extend my range.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Godofgods said:

Does anyone know the CP710???

A quick use of the search tool for the forum called up this thread:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I use a CP710.  I'm no pro tho - I can only compare it to an electric one and I'll tell you now, its an order of magnitude better than an electric one.

14 hours ago, 6ix said:

I use a CP710.  I'm no pro tho - I can only compare it to an electric one and I'll tell you now, its an order of magnitude better than an electric one.

How does it work? How does it behave with a hard matrix or a soft matrix? How much air does it consume? 

Sorry for all these questions

Like I said, I dont really know how to compare sorry - I use it for our local crab concretions...  Unfortunately they are photobucket links and you have to install the photobucket google plugin to get em working again.  https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjxlKD8h4TYAhUDe7wKHdUmAeQQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fchrome.google.com%2Fwebstore%2Fdetail%2Fphotobucket-hotlink-fix%2Fkegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg%3Fhl%3Den&usg=AOvVaw2Zd_BBjl2N9ihLkAQWF3ZN

As for air usage I have no idea, I bought a 2nd hand compressor which most of the stickers have fallen off - and while I was trying to adjust it to cut off at 70psi I broke the screw thing so it varies between about 60 and 120 :(

I run a 2.5hp compressor with a 21 gallon tank that supplies 4.7cfm @ 90psi. I run it at 120psi so doing the math based on the compressor specs I'm getting 3.93cfm and it runs everything just fine. It cycles every 5-7 minutes when I'm running the CP9361 and will recover on its own without turning the tool off. The smaller scribes use even less air. When I'm using the Micro Jack, it will cycle every 10-15 minutes.

I just started using a CP-9361 and it is a great tool.   It does remove a lot of matrix fast and as mentioned is not the best for detail work.   I am using a small pancake style compressor @ 90psi or so.  It cycles about every 6 to 10 minutes.  If I am running settings of 3 to 5 it can keep up for the most part. If I run it on the higher settings I have to pause every ten minutes for it to keep up.  However that makes for a good pause to look at what you are doing.  I am only using this one as it was easy to carry to the patio.  I have others that will more than keep up with the air requirements.