Latest Lower Carboniferous/ Mississippian shark finds

Archie

27 minutes ago, Archie said:

Thanks Tim! :D

I think your right! I was thinking the two fins at the bottom of the pic (the way you've oriented it) are the pectoral and anal and the fin at the top the dorsal? 

I think so, ... although what you're calling the pectoral could be a pelvic fin. 

The fish may have been mashed up a bit, kind of curled  front of the body upward, if you catch my meaning.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think so, ... although what you're calling the pectoral could be a pelvic fin. 

The fish may have been mashed up a bit, kind of curled  front of the body upward, if you catch my meaning.  :) 

I think your right and it could well be pelvic rather than a pectoral, the front end certainly does look all twisted! If I can get whats on the counterpart transferred it might be easier to tell. Thanks for your help Tim! :) 

39 minutes ago, JimB88 said:

Wow! Thats a awesome fish! Cant wait to see it Prepped!

Thanks Jim! Got a big backlog of Devonian and Carboniferous fish needing prepped and finally almost got the equipment set up so hoping to post some of the results soon! :D 

Wow - more beautiful invertebrate finds!!!  I love the crinoid calyx (and, of course, the conulariids, too!) - thanks for sharing!!!

40 minutes ago, Monica said:

Wow - more beautiful invertebrate finds!!!  I love the crinoid calyx (and, of course, the conulariids, too!) - thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Monica! :D 

Had another trip out on Monday to a coastal exposure of the BHL and made a couple of really lucky finds! First I got a nice sized complete Saivodus striatus lateral tooth, 22mm x23mm which at first only had the edge of the root showing and I never expected at all to have the cusps, they rarely ever do at this site unfortunately. Then washed up on the beach I got this hash plate with two crinoid cups and an orthocone, not sure what the cup on the left is but it may be a Ureocrinus sp., also not sure of the ID of the orthocone, possibly just an Orthoceras sp?  The cup on the right though is a Fifeocrinus tielensis, I love this name as firstly I'm from Fife and secondly the species name is taken from the Tiel Burn (Burn is a Scottish word for a watercourse) in the town of Kirkcaldy from where they were first found. This stream actually flows around the edge of my old high school and me and my buddies used to hang out there in the summer time, got so many ridiculous and happy memories from there! Hopefully looking at this little cup will always remind me of them lol. The beach this came from is just a mile or so from Tiel Burn and the fossils there are extremely abundant and diverse compared to some other BHL sites, definitely planning to explore the burn again in the summer when the water levels down!

IMGP6811.JPG

IMGP6810.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

17 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wowser! 

Amazing finds! 

Congrats.:)

Thanks! :) Some of the horizons exposed on the foreshore here are just made of crinoids, brachiopods, corals, bryozoans etc., theres even a couple of worn but 3D conulariids!  I forgot the camera that trip but I'm planning to head back soon and get a pic of as many different species of inverts as possible! 

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/20/2018 at 3:15 PM, Archie said:

A few more inverts from this bed, first the most complete Fenestellid bryozoan Ive ever found. 79mm x 64mm

IMGP6768.JPG

I love this one... I must have missed it earlier.

All lovely stuff, and what Don said!

25 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

That sounds like an amazing spot to collect.  I think I'd just build a cabin and never leave.

Don

Its needing a bit of renovating but the beach comes with its own 16th century tower house, a perfect base for fossil hunting and highly defendable! It is a really lovely spot to hunt I usually only leave when it gets dark! 

300px-Seafield_tower.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

41 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I love this one... I must have missed it earlier.

All lovely stuff, and what Don said!

Thank you! :) 

6 hours ago, Archie said:

and made a couple of really lucky finds!

Indeed You did!

Very nice pieces, both worthy of the fossil of the month. (but You need to enter them fast.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 hours ago, ynot said:

Indeed You did!

Very nice pieces, both worthy of the fossil of the month. (but You need to enter them fast.)

Thanks very much Tony! :D

I'll enter them just now!

On 1/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, Archie said:

Its needing a bit of renovating but the beach comes with its own 16th century tower house, a perfect base for fossil hunting and highly defendable! It is a really lovely spot to hunt I usually only leave when it gets dark! 

300px-Seafield_tower.jpg

Awesome fossils, and what a gorgeous setting to collect them in!

On 2/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, deutscheben said:

Awesome fossils, and what a gorgeous setting to collect them in!

Thanks deutscheben! :)