there's another couple of teeth right next to it 

Fantastic!!

Look forward to seeing it prepped out.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys not had a chance to post any finds in a while as works been crazy busy but found a few interesting things over the past months I wanted to share. First of all my latest find from last weekend, a plate with a nice Petalodus acuminatus anterior tooth and an unusual tooth that could possibly be Copodus.

42564430_248674379179668_7008886886152273920_n.jpg

42543458_234543577242654_4834166337972469760_n.jpg

42554839_1006441836201881_6897989254316556288_n.jpg

42619662_369129227245556_1098791967350849536_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

And from the same day and block another Petalodus acuminatus, this one a 23mm lateral with nice colors from sun bleaching. The block these came from had upwards of 30 teeth all Petalodonts except for a single Cochliodus still being prepped. Most of them were however tiny and many just partial. I'll post some more over the next few days :) 

42321910_312305322657817_7429098175631196160_n.jpg

Fantastic finds, Sam! :drool: 

You must have been ecstatic to find that block with so many teeth!

Thanks for posting, mate. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You find the nicest teeth! :wub:

With that many petalodids in one block, do you think they might have come from one animal, or are they more likely just concentrated by water currents?

Don

53 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Fantastic finds, Sam! :drool: 

You must have been ecstatic to find that block with so many teeth!

Thanks for posting, mate. 

Thanks Tim! :D 

I really was! Its great to just come home with one tooth as I often don't even manage that but this was a rare find!!

47 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

You find the nicest teeth! :wub:

With that many petalodids in one block, do you think they might have come from one animal, or are they more likely just concentrated by water currents?

Don

Thank you kindly Don :)

I suspect they are more likely just concentrated by currents as they are a mix of a few different species, they're also largely fragmentary as are the brachiopods etc. so I think they may have been transported some distance? I've just prepped some teeth that are most definitely associated I'll get some pics of shortly!

Hi, Sam.

I absolutely love this thread!:wub:

Do you have any go to resources for identification, or is it a lot of researching and accumulation of different sources? Or, just plain experience?

Thank you,

Steve

Steve

2 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Hi, Sam.

I absolutely love this thread!:wub:

Do you have any go to resources for identification, or is it a lot of researching and accumulation of different sources? Or, just plain experience?

Thank you,

Steve

Thanks Steve I'm glad you like it! :) 

I use quite a few different resources online as well as literature I've collected over the years, I'd highly recommend the Handbook of Paleoichthyology Volumes 3A (Paleozoic Elasmobranchii) and 4 (Holocephali)!!

Best Regards,

Sam

2 hours ago, malts said:

Particularly fond of the Poecilodus.  Thank you for sharing

Thank you, its definitely one of my favorite teeth!

Wow! Nice piece! Can't wait to see more pictures. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

Looking forward to seeing more.

23 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That first Petalodus is scrumptious! Thanks for sharing your nice finds.

11 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Wow! Nice piece! Can't wait to see more pictures. 

Thanks guys! :)

Archaeocidaris sp. from the same well laminated limestone I find the teeth, I've only ever found these isolated before would love to find a whole one!

IMGP6674.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks Tony, I really like them too always think of them as being more like steak knives while Petalodus acuminatus are more like butter knives :D 

More great finds, I am in awe! Thank you for posting the Archaeocidaris as well, I believe I have found isolated fragments of that in the Pennsylvanian deposit where I find shark teeth, but couldn't figure out what they were until now. 

• 4 weeks later...

A few more finds from the last few weeks, first up two new Ctenopetalus serratus teeth found last Friday and prepped over the last few days. The damaged one is 30mm across, the other is 37mm which is the biggest Ive found yet!  

IMGP6716.JPG

IMGP6738.JPG

IMGP6715.JPG

IMGP6735.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Wow! Awesome teeth! I continue to be amazed at the variety of shark like fish in Scotland! And the associated cidaris plates are a very rare find from my experience (with a spine no less!) The little crinoid is a gem too! Awesome finds!

Some Psephodus magnus teeth I picked up on another hunt a few weeks ago along with a sadly broken but still lovely little 4mm Poecilodus jonesi tooth. 

IMGP6682.JPG

IMGP6693.JPG