Very Rare Placodus Fossil

Crazyhen

Hi, guys, take a look of the very complete Placodus fossil from China.  This is really a weird creature.  I am not sure which species it is though.

GMGT4383.JPG

Hi, that's not a PlacodusPlacodus do not have shells, but some relatives do, so I think it could be better to say placodont, which refers to all of them. I don't really know too much about placodonts, but I think that could be a Sinocyamodus based on the morphology and area (probably wrong) . However, the fossil looks a bit fishy, I've never seen a black-colored bone on light matrix before, and I feel like it was painted, and attached to the matrix rather than prepped out (no signs of dug out rock except for the head and upper arms). In my opinion, I think that it's either partly restored, or a whole fake.

• I found this Informative 3

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

23 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

However, the fossil looks a bit fishy, I've never seen a black-colored bone on light matrix before, and I feel like it was painted, and attached to the matrix rather than prepped out (no signs of dug out rock except for the head and upper arms). In my opinion, I think that it's either partly restored, or a whole fake.

If You look close You can see some veins that run through the fossil and the matrix. They are lined up very well.

It may have some paint, but I think it is an authentic and wonderful piece.

Very nice find!

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Not sure about the species - this is a Sinocyamodus xinpuensis from Guizhou. Looks different..

Before and after prep5a2f1325ae39e_Ch1297dSinocyamodusxinpuensisMittlTriasGuizhouCNWeberCh1297d.thumb.jpg.a4bd40013c98029005fa735829c15ed8.jpg

5a2758b1ce64f_Ch1297SinocyamodusxinpuensisMittlTriasGuizhouCN.thumb.jpg.8589087d0c021b0fefd85de81331d4ce.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I also wonder about it.  The lower legs look like they are sitting on top of the matrix, having been placed there, rather than embedded in it.  Also, the metatarsal bones on the left leg look much shorter than those on the right.  If it were legitimate wouldn't you expect them to be of similar size?

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I also wonder about it.  The lower legs look like they are sitting on top of the matrix, having been placed there, rather than embedded in it.  Also, the metatarsal bones on the left leg look much shorter than those on the right.  If it were legitimate wouldn't you expect them to be of similar size?

Yeah, the feet and legs do look funny. Mostly the feet though.

Maybe some of the feet or legs have been frankensteined?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Back legs looked placed and too perfect.  The phalanges appear to be different lengths on the back right and left legs, might be camera angle but do not think so.

I understand that there are some repairs/painting but the fossil is a genuine one.  The placodonts are really strange creatures.  Look at another specimen here.

attw2jdb.jpg

I really have the itch to blurt out that the second one is obviously fake, at least most of it. There is no sense of pattern on the shell (breaks the symmetry rule), and the shell texture extends to the entire tail and lower legs with no marks indicating a different body part, suggesting that the entire tail and lower legs were part of the shell. And that tail is.... an amazing piece of art. Plus, the flipper bones look way too smooth to be bone material, unless it was painted over.  ;)

(Sorry for speaking really assertive here, but I felt like I just had too. Sorry if I caused any problems)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

13 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

I really have the itch to blurt out that the second one is obviously fake, at least most of it. There is no sense of pattern on the shell (breaks the symmetry rule), and the shell texture extends to the entire tail and lower legs with no marks indicating a different body part, suggesting that the entire tail and lower legs were part of the shell. And that tail is.... an amazing piece of art. Plus, the flipper bones look way too smooth to be bone material, unless it was painted over.  ;)

(Sorry for speaking really assertive here, but I felt like I just had too. Sorry if I caused any problems)

Maybe it was wearing a beaded sweater when it died.  I’ve seen some in my wife’s closet that look similar. :wacko:

9 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Maybe it was wearing a beaded sweater when it died.  I’ve seen some in my wife’s closet that look similar. :wacko:

:rofl:

@Crazyhen I am sorry, but I think that I agree with @Macrophyseter ... These fossils look very suspicious to me!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I'm also giving these things a serious side-eye. That second one is trying to be Sinosaurosphargis but missing the mark a bit.

While it really looks strange, it is not impossible that it’s a genuine one.  Take a look of another specimen.

5C786418-8BBB-4F48-BA69-BEFD2DA0F294.jpeg