Possible St. Leon (Ordovician) Edrioasteroid

Nimravis

I am going through and sorting out fossils that I collected on a number of road trips that I did this year. I am looking to see if someone, maybe @Peat Burns or @Herb , with experience in the Ordovician from St. Leon, Indiana can confirm what I think may be a couple Edrioasteroid (Isorophus cincinnatiensis).

IMG_8818.thumb.jpg.c266178869ff20e7515cfaa8944dd58a.jpgIMG_8819.thumb.jpg.eb9e282e8295bcacc49f086d576e779e.jpgIMG_8820.thumb.jpg.4c4e8804a4f8dd295f15cd247b95bda0.jpgIMG_8821.thumb.jpg.aa4db82733781792a0317b29e13d1f09.jpg

It sure looks like a possible candidate.  The third photo has the raised margin, but I can't see the typical raised, sinuous arms.  Could you get some oblique lighting on it to perhaps accentuate the contours?  Might need some prep.  Hope it is.  I haven't found an edrioasteroid yet :(

I'm going to vote no on the Edrio for both of these. They look like buttons of rock that emulate the shape but do not have any other features. I don't see any arms, or plates for that matter, that suggest them to be Edrioasteroids.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

d@Shamalama and @Peat Burns - I am going to agree with both of you on this. After looking more closely at them, I think that they may just be some type of mold- I was thinking that they were at first because I thought the little spot on both was the anus ( as shown on the Dry Dredgers site), but it that spot is on both sides of one of them- thanks for the input.

No edrio there. For future reference the anus/periproct is not in the center, but between the arms closer to the outer edge. In Isorophusella, it looks like a pizza. This pic isn't the greatest to show it, but it is below the center

isorophusella.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Sorry, I don't think they are edrios either. Haven't found one either

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

d@Shamalama and @Peat Burns - I am going to agree with both of you on this. After looking more closely at them, I think that they may just be some type of mold- I was thinking that they were at first because I thought the little spot on both was the anus ( as shown on the Dry Dredgers site), but it that spot is on both sides of one of them- thanks for the input.

Yeah, it was a long shot.  Good that you picked it up.  I don't pick up as many questionable objects as I should, which is probably why I don't have an edrioasteroid yet :(

I'd probably have better luck going back and looking at the thousands of brachiopods I have.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is one stuck on one of those that I didn't notice.:blush:

1 hour ago, Northern Sharks said:

No edrio there. For future reference the anus/periproct is not in the center, but between the arms closer to the outer edge. In Isorophusella, it looks like a pizza. This pic isn't the greatest to show it, but it is below the center

isorophusella.jpg

Wow- that does look totally different than the two things that I picked up- thanks for posting that pic, it shows great detail.

@Herb and @Peat Burns thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Well written! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived