Shark tooth from Florida

Fn8

Here I am with a new fossil. It's nothing special but where I live sellers usually have only shark teeth from Morocco / North Africa. I'm not an expert in the "shark teeth identification" field and I can only make hypothesis about the specie it belonged to. 

Suggestions?

What are the diagnostic characters that can be observed in it?

dente1.jpg

dentone.jpg

Hi there,

Can you place something in the image for scale? That can help with identifications in the future.  From the looks of it a worn Carcharodon hastalis (Broad Tooth White Shark) or as most collectors in Florida refer to as a 'Mako' shark tooth.  The lack of a bourlette and the shape of the tooth is what I would notice immediately. Especially the root.

This is a specimen from Florida

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/carcharodon-hastalis

Carcharodon-hastalis-2.jpg.3f82a92cd27488e4f575cefc247989a4.jpg

These are from further north in the US.

Image credits (Jayson Kowinsky) : http://www.fossilguy.com/sites/calvert/calv_srk.htm

cosmopolitodus-shark-teeth.thumb.jpg.d1a5c919b5f9ceba39840e098b4c70a9.jpg

c_xiphodon_id1.jpg.854fc959c97226545aca6a0a42b72f21.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Yes, I also agree that it's probably a Cosmopolitodus hastalis (or Carcharodon). The broad, triangle shape, as well as the lack of serrations, all are hastalis characteristics present in that tooth.

I also think that it's probably a lower lateral broad-form. Broad-form hastalis are often called by its synonym Cosmopolitodus/Carcharodon xiphodon to reflect the difference from its narrow-form counterpart, but it's only used to compare, and not really a scientifically valid name.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

9 minutes ago, Fn8 said:

IMG_20171206_201152.jpg

Cool ... !  Yes, if it is about 3cm tall ? Then I would say it is hastalis .... someone might be by to confirm that.  That being said they are not particularly rare in these parts, especially in that worn condition.  Finding them complete and large with the root intact is usually the trick of it.  I have a whole pile of mako partials. It looks like a beach or river/creek find.

Still a cool tooth.

Cheers,

B