fossilnut

This "bone" (sounds like fossil bone not modern) has a very distinctive grooved surface. It is 4 1/2" long, 3" high 1" thick. In the top groove my index finger fits perfectly. In what looks to me to be a joint surface (cup depression) my thumb conforms. I have found Cretaceous fossils-Exogyra and sea urchins. In previous years fossil shark teeth. The beach has been "renourished" I was told from 3 miles offshore. Very few shark teeth this year and they have been Miocene/Pliocene--great white, a small meg. Seen others with bull and sand tigers but no Cretaceous shark teeth. This bone has a very distinctive coloration--light brown/yellowish. I found 2 other fossils with this color. (Will post these later) Any ideas would be appreciated. ThanksDSCN4867.thumb.JPG.8a0d554fa09089aef377c421a64a687f.JPG

I have not figured out how to resize pictures so I am adding them as additional posts.This a the reverse of 1st picture Sorry

DSCN4868.JPG

Edited by fossilnut
can not load 2 pics

This is the cup shaped depression that my thumb fits in perfectly

DSCN4869.JPG

This is the groove on the top (my designation as I do not know the actual bone orientation) My index finger fits perfectly in this groove

DSCN4870.JPG

It does not appear to show header info I had thought I put in:   North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina  Beach find. Just wanted that to be clear about where this was found

Definitely bone, maybe modern though. Have you tried the flame test?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks. I am not clear on the test. If modern will the flame cause a smell that won't occur if it is permineralized? Any idea of what this bone was for and from what animal?

I hope this is not impolite but could I ask Bosse to take a look? I don't know how to do that? If it is ok could one of the administrators help. Thanks and I apologize if I am out of line.  @Boesse

Edited by fossilnut
added for Boesse to take a look after ynot's information

Do you mean @Boesse perhaps? :)

If it’s a modern bone it will give off an odor, if it’s a fossil then it will not smell. Sorry I can’t help on the ID though. Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

I hope this is not impolite but could I ask Bosse to take a look?

Not inpolite at all.

For tagging a member type @ followed by the user name. You will get a drop down menu. You must select the appropriate user name from the dropdown list.  When it is done properly the "tag" will be highlighted.

@fossilnut

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks "the living dead 531" for the information both on the smell and giving me the correct spelling for Boesse

Oh snarge I am baffled by this one. The extensive sutures scream baleen whale to me, but I can't really make much sense out of it. It's definitely an isolated, bilateral skull element from an immature whale - no other mammals have a combination of expansive mortised sutures like this and dense bone. It could be an alisphenoid or other element in the basicranium.

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks for looking and your thoughts . At least I have a direction that this is whale. Its various elements including the sutures make it for me a most intriguing piece that I will treasure finding.