Unknown fossil found

Travis K.

While deer hunting with a friend, on private land, we found this fossil protruding from a rock outcropping. It appears to be bone.  It is far beyond our ability to uncover the fossil and not sure if its worth the trouble. Is there someone we should call to investigate? How do we go about getting help?

Sorry there is no object for scale. The length of the visible fossil in the first picture is about 10", top to bottom.

2017111195122113.thumb.jpg.f24ee8e9f2307aa49210d3953195e93c.jpg2017111195122128.thumb.jpg.bc180e591fc97c4c07326123f4fe750a.jpg

It could very well be, but it is a bit tough to make out in these photos. Is there a chance you can return to this spot and take a closer picture? 

In terms of who you can contact, I think first it very much depends if you have permission of the property owner. If that's a go, it may depend on the size and hardness of the rock. If it is of a manageable size, some careful sledge hammer work may help in extracting it. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the reply. I could return to the spot but not for awhile. The land is owned by my hunting buddy and he is interested in uncovering the fossil. I will see if he can get some better pics. 

Thanks again.

Does look a bit like a fossil bone or wood from the picture. Bone structure will be the key to seeing if it is bone (should look spongy, also a tongue test could help. Licking a finger and touching it to the bone. There is some controversy over whether this is a good way of telling bone from stone but it’s worked well for me). Have you checked a geologic map of your area? A formation or age would help for an ID.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I would be willing to bet that this is Mesozoic or Cenozoic rock and that is bone (but I'll defer to those more knowledgeable). Is the matrix soft (loosely consolidated clay etc.) or a harder sort of rock?

22 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Does look a bit like a fossil bone or wood from the picture. Bone structure will be the key to seeing if it is bone (should look spongy, also a tongue test could help. Licking a finger and touching it to the bone. There is some controversy over whether this is a good way of telling bone from stone but it’s worked well for me). Have you checked a geologic map of your area? A formation or age would help for an ID.

I attempted to get some info from a geological map but I am not sure what Im looking at. Do you have any advice on what map I should be looking at? It is in Northeast Colorado. 

image.thumb.png.aefd8d534b65f394e471bf5596c37140.png

Hi Travis-

Welcome.  The area looks like it is Oligocene, according the latest state geology map.  But the rocks don't look too Oligocene to me.  Based on the geology map, it should not be a dinosaur bone, but it does look like a big ole fossil bone to me.  And it looks pretty big.  I  imagine that this thing will want to fall apart  as you dig it up.  The rock is the only thing holding it together.  Notice how it is mostly missing where there is no rock.  It would need to be professionally collected.  The question you raise about not being sure if it is worth the effort...  this is something we may never know without a bit of exploratory digging.  I get to the Front Range quite often, but this is well east of I-25, otherwise I wouldn't mind stopping by for a looksee.  

edit: I was also looking at the same map, but it gets weird right there where you circled it in red.  This one is better:

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_68589.htm

It is labeled as 'To' which is indeed NOT Oligocene, but Ogallala Fm, which is Miocene.  So, about 15 million years old.  Still no dinosaur, but there were some big mammals around at the time.

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Hi Travis-

Welcome.  The area looks like it is Oligocene, according the latest state geology map.  But the rocks don't look too Oligocene to me.  Based on the geology map, it should not be a dinosaur bone, but it does look like a big ole fossil bone to me.  And it looks pretty big.  I  imagine that this thing will want to fall apart  as you dig it up.  The rock is the only thing holding it together.  Notice how it is mostly missing where there is no rock.  It would need to be professionally collected.  The question you raise about not being sure if it is worth the effort...  this is something we may never know without a bit of exploratory digging.  I get to the Front Range quite often, but this is well east of I-25, otherwise I wouldn't mind stopping by for a looksee.  

edit: I was also looking at the same map, but it gets weird right there where you circled it in red.  This one is better:

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_68589.htm

It is labeled as 'To' which is indeed NOT Oligocene, but Ogallala Fm, which is Miocene.  So, about 15 million years old.  Still no dinosaur, but there were some big mammals around at the time.

Thanks for the info jpc! I will pass it along to the land owner and see if he is interested/willing to pursue uncovering it. I will let you know and maybe invite you to come out to the pasture for a closer look. 

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Travis K. said:

Thanks for the info jpc! I will pass it along to the land owner and see if he is interested/willing to pursue uncovering it. I will let you know and maybe invite you to come out to the pasture for a closer look. 

Thanks! 

sounds good