sharko69

Decided to take a day off while working in California. One of my coworkers was interested in going for a dig so we headed to Bakersfield. Met Rob at the gates at 7:30 and headed in. This was the first time I have had the time to spend an entire day. (Also the first time I have been there in under 100 degree temps.) Rob led us to Slow Curve and we began digging. Was a fun day. Found a few nice teeth and left with  five gallon pickle bucket of matrix to look through back home in Dallas. Airport loves me when I check in 80 lbs. of dirt. Found a nice 2.1 inch hastalis which may not be big to some but was my best of the day. My favorite find though was my  Aulophyseter morricei whale ear bone with associated stapes bone (Thank you @boesse for the identification.) Overall, we had a fun day and found some nice teeth. We were kept company by this furry little friend as well. Thanks for looking.

6077757A-CE7F-49EC-9A19-2474B642F9F6.jpeg

E71E72A1-7889-4CFA-B2FD-F08A6BD8BC85.jpeg

5F48EFA8-B62C-4D94-9373-F30AE944A961.jpeg

Beautiful finds, great colors that come out of there:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

You did good for the slow curve.

Liking the heterodontus tooth a whole lot.

Thanks. I have found three in my matrix in previous trips. Found five in the first gallon of dirt I brought home this trip. That one cleaned up perfectly. Love the small teeth as well as the big ones.

The micros look like fun ... sooooo ... was the dirt strapped to your body passing through security ? .. or piled into two separate bags on check in ?  I would have liked to see the face on the airport screener that x-rayed that bag.  Very cool finds, one day I'll make it out that way.

Cheers,

Brett

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

The micros look like fun ... sooooo ... was the dirt strapped to your body passing through security ? .. or piled into two separate bags on check in ?  I would have liked to see the face on the airport screener that x-rayed that bag.  Very cool finds, one day I'll make it out that way.

Cheers,

Brett

Usually it all goes in one bag. This trip they made me split it into two bags. It has the TSA note every time that the bag has been opened and inspected. This time the lady asked me what I had in my bags, rocks? I had to be honest and say yes.

Just now, sharko69 said:

Usually it all goes in one bag. This trip they made me split it into two bags. It has the TSA note every time that the bag has been opened and inspected. This time the lady asked me what I had in my bags, rocks? I had to be honest and say yes.

Haha  awesome lol ..... that's like me heading home from Christmas and I'm schlepping 20lbs of coffee stuffed into my suitcase.  My mom wanted to make sure her 40 year old son didn't run out. 

-------> welcome to secondary screening and the *looks*

B

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Interesting tooth.  Do you have any other pictures of this tooth from different angles?

Marco Sr.

Thinking it is tiger symphyseal tooth. Very large root but has slight serrations.

88A968A5-B905-41D2-AFB2-8992AD1412E6.jpeg

8F3C271D-BAC5-4305-BBAD-80000203AF0C.jpeg

1 hour ago, sharko69 said:

Thinking it is tiger symphyseal tooth. Very large root but has slight serrations.

Yes, that's what it is - Physogaleus contortus.   It's a rare find even when you screen.  Yours is in great shape too.

Jess

2 hours ago, sharko69 said:

Really nice. I agree with Jess that it is a Physogaleus contortus symphyseal.  When I found the tooth below in matrix from the Ernst Ranch, I first thought Megachasma until I also saw the serrations under magnification.

5a29ef4cf1169_Physogaleuscontortussymphyseal7mm.jpg.0507e0043372c91917f37e5f7d3f0a66.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

9 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Really nice. I agree with Jess that it is a Physogaleus contortus symphyseal.  When I found the tooth below in matrix from the Ernst Ranch, I first thought Megachasma until I also saw the serrations under magnification.

5a29ef4cf1169_Physogaleuscontortussymphyseal7mm.jpg.0507e0043372c91917f37e5f7d3f0a66.jpg

Marco Sr.

Thank you. That little tooth is a beaut! I love the micro stuff. About to look through more matrix now.

Nice finds, congrats! I really want to go to STH one of these days. Didn't realize there were such huge spiders there though - that would've freaked me out a bit. Haha

20 minutes ago, tiburon said:

Nice finds, congrats! I really want to go to STH one of these days. Didn't realize there were such huge spiders there though - that would've freaked me out a bit. Haha

Thank you. Fortunately it was cold. Spiders are no problem, rattlesnakes are another story when it is warm. They look for the same shade you do.

Nice finds! Cute friend too. Reminds me a lot of the baboon spider I saw while walking in the bush of South Africa. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

49 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Nice finds! Cute friend too. Reminds me a lot of the baboon spider I saw while walking in the bush of South Africa. 

Thanks. Had to google that. Yep!

Archived