fossilnut

This  unusual fossil is3 1/4 inches long, 2 3/4 at widest point and tapers to 2 inches. It is 1 1/8,inches thick. The shape is somewhat oval and tapers. This is the 2nd fossil with this coloration that I found in November. Fossils on the beach range from Cretaceous--Exogyra shells and sea urchins to Miocene/Pliocene megalodon and great white shark teeth. The beach has been "renourished" after a recent hurricane. Formerly abundant shark teeth are now very sparse. It does not appear to be bone. The idea of a "tusk" occurred to me but I am unfamiliar with  what a tusk would look like. Any ideas or even better questions would be appreciated. Previously (yesterday) posted a bone found in the same area. Additional pictures will follow.

DSCN4859.JPG

The reverse side

DSCN4860.JPG

Maybe @Boesse can have a look. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

my guess is weathered piece of manatee rib because of the low porosity. Most of the time these are black or dark brown but this fragment would have been exposed at some time. Keep in mind that this is just a guess.

Thanks Plax. Please look at my earlier post of a bone with very interesting 'grooves" n one side if you did't see that. I have no clue what it's purpose is or what aminal it came from. Soon I will post some pics of echinoids that I think might be Cretaceous PeeDee formation. These were also found on the beach at NMB

DSCN4872.thumb.JPG.88653d3b13239535926bf9e0b30a70cb.JPG

bottom side

DSCN4874.JPG

a sea urchin broken inhalf from same area-NMB

DSCN4875.JPG

a third sea urchin top completely eroded but bottom good preservation. Are these all likely from the same genus species. My online look up these seem to be from the PeeDee formation. North Myrtle Beach is within a few miles of North carolina. The beach was recently "renourished". I was told materioal from 3 miles offshore. A few years back I found a smaller urchin but it was a greyish limestone not the beautiful white (calcite?) of these ones. I plan to try and do some prep to remove the covering material.

DSCN4877.JPG

Thanks for your response. I have seen some of the North Carolina's fossil club material. Would love to join them on a field trip someday.

I'm not sure. It's quite dense, so sirenian rib seems to be reasonable. I think the pores are natural bone pores rather than borings.

Thanks for looking at this. I am going to post picture of 2 other finds from the same area. May not be related but they all are the same light colored and were found within days of each other. Your thought would be appreciated. Files are large so I will multiple post.

DSCN4867.JPG

Reverse side

DSCN4868.JPG

cupped end my thumb fits perfectly

DSCN4869.JPG

"top" grooved area--my fore finger fits into this

DSCN4870.JPG

Archived