Troodon

Spanish Spinosaurids it's Implication to Kem Kem's Spinosaurids

LordTrilobite

Those are quite curved indeed. Though some from Kem Kem are also somewhat curved. Okay so two tooth morphotypes of Baryonchinae and Spinosaurinae in Spain. I'm wondering if we can apply the differences to the known teeth from the Kem Kem region as well. It is known from bone remains that Sigilmassasaurus seems to be more closely related to Baryonyx and Suchomimus than to Spinosaurus. So the same families seem to be present in Kem Kem.

Troodon

Since so little is known anything is possible and two spinosaurid subfamilies in the Kem Kem is of course possible.  No smoking gun yet, we need a jaw with teeth identifiable to Sig or X.   I think I'm fairly comfortable saying that in addition to the tooth morphologies identified by Ute we have an a couple of variations in the overall shape of the tooth.  Even Ute's paper showed a one of those curved teeth but she did not comment on it.  I plan to pay extra attention at the Tucson show for these teeth and see if I can find any serrated versions.  

LordTrilobite

Be sure to keep a lookout for jaws as well. :ighappy:

Troodon

The problem is that nice jaws, even partials ones are typically sold with composited teeth at stupid prices.  But you are correct I will keep an eye out for them 

Here are a couple from 2016 with all very straight teeth

20160126_101420.thumb.jpg.c2f1d87d5cf0318773007188bb9badc1.jpg

LordTrilobite

Are those teeth all original? Or are they composited in? And I'm curious if those teeth have striations or that they are smooth. That dentary on the lower right looks very similar to the holotype of Spinosaurus aegyptiacus.

Very nice specimens btw.

Troodon

Everything on the Spino jaws are composited meant to give the appearance of unerupted teeth.   This dealer is one of the best on Moroccan fossils.  I dont recall the price and my photo is not sharp enough to read the yellow tag but I think it's In the 4 figures.

He has a number of boxes like this where I could look for that thin curved morphology.  Nothing jumps out in that box.

20171207_135405.thumb.jpg.223f81d9a470fb1dd23c4dd5dddb0b86.jpg

Troodon

Serrations on Suchomimus.  Now if we can find anything like these from the Kem Kem it would be our smoking gun

graphic-3.large.thumb.jpg.9af134d0a7a15d144c3f12536575f467.jpg