Missouri Petrified Wood

ashcraft

Here is S.E, Mo., we have a late Cretaceous formation of sandstone known as the McNairy. In it can be found petrified wood in fairly large chunks, my personaly best is around 4 feet. They are extremly well preserved, right down to the cell structure. Attached are some pics. I think the first one is palmwood, as far as I know the only piece ever found in Missouri. Please comment and speculate as you see fit, I don't know much about wood.

post-120-1248980924_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

Here is a piece of what looks like a hardwood, but was very resinous.

post-120-1248981239_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

Within the sandstones there will be clay lenses, some have fossil leaf impressions, usually of the genus

Banksia

post-120-1248982603_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

That's some very nice preservation. Given the age, and the terrestrial fossils, are there any trackways or dino bones found in the formation?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Last pic is of somebody finding a use for the petrified wood, somebody after my own heart. This is in the Commerce, MO cemetary.

post-120-1248983318_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

That's some very nice preservation. Given the age, and the terrestrial fossils, are there any trackways or dino bones found in the formation?

Trackways yes, I have found where one is, but haven't gotten it out. No bones have been found, but some speculate there maybe some, partticulary "Dino" Russ Jacobson, retired from the Illinois Geological Survey. In the layer immedialty above it, which is Owl Creek, an ocean deposit, there have been mososaur remains found.

The McNairy may have been deposited at the same time as the Chronister Dinosaur site, in nearby Marble Hill, which has Missouri's only known dino remains.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Nice pet wood. I will have to put that area on my list of places to hunt in the future.

What a great headstone. May have to get one like that for myself down the road. :faint:

Archived