Scute or just a chunkosaurus

Miocene_Mason

This little bit ( about an inch) came from Brownies beach, MD (Calvert FM, zone 4?)

where bone is extremely common. This one caught my eye, because it reminds me of a Glyptotherium scute I have (from Florida). Not saying that’s what it is, just wondering if it could be a scute of some sort (also I believe Glyptotherium is a Pleistocene animal). I have found terrestrial fossils there before (well two, a possum tooth and some jet). So is it a regular ol’ chunko or a scute of some sort, and if so what?

C7CFA98A-DC24-4359-9D57-D0ABB468A27F.jpeg

2C4BA589-1204-44CB-A850-557E263DB3E9.jpeg

Next to glypto scute

23394551-8DD8-4959-8507-9BA05CA29A51.jpeg

50118A18-C4F8-4F6A-B4AB-225276F6C65A.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@willy @Troodon @jpc

Thanks for the replies! I was at first skeptical of turtle because it lacks the surface texture, but I’m guessing that had worn off (hence the bone structure visibility). I’m happy I have a good label now, thanks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

@willy @Troodon @jpc

Thanks for the replies! I was at first skeptical of turtle because it lacks the surface texture, but I’m guessing that had worn off (hence the bone structure visibility). I’m happy I have a good label now, thanks!

I agree with Jean-Pierre, leatherback turtle scute.  They have a fairly smooth surface texture.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

10 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

I agree with Jean-Pierre, leatherback turtle scute.  They have a fairly smooth surface texture.

Marco Sr.

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived