Fish in Rock like a Geode

Rank Amateur

Sorry, another fossil from my dead acquaintance's estate. This is an interesting fish in a geode-like rock. Open it up and you can see the top and the bottom of the fish's image. The person who split open the rock did an excellent job. The seam is sharp and tight. To get to the fish inside: It is about 10½ millimeters centimeters long and 4¾ mm wide/tall at its widest point. I did just a little bit of magic in this picture to heighten the image. I made it a little bit darker and heightened contrast just a little. The rock from the outside looks like a sweet potato. In fact, the inside of the rock has a reddish, sweet-potato coloring though where the ghost image of the fish is, it is grayish brown. I don't know where this fish was found. A nice fish, well-preserved by my eye.5a29c08471a24_Sweet_Potato__Enhanced.thumb.jpg.aced6569cf667ed255c0cf5996f600f3.jpg  

This is a fossil fish in a concretion. I’m not an expert in these but maybe from the Triassic of Madagascar. It is well preserved, it’s called “lagerstätte”. Amazing things these are.

maybe @oilshale would know more.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's not a geode, but a nice nodule with a fossil fish encased. Maybe it's from Argentina.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

It's not a geode, but a nice nodule with a fossil fish encased. Maybe it's from Argentina.

I’ve never heard of fossil fish from Argentina, do you mean the Santana formation of Brazil?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes, that's what I'm trying to correct. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Definitely a nice fish nodule from Madagascar or China, leaning more towards China given the preservation. Nice find!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Then it might be a Perleidus sp. ? :)

SP.thumb.jpg.af3eefc8a3a4ccb88f3c6003544a2eda.jpgpeleidiformes.jpg.4c69d94cbf1a4c20954141222cf14be4.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 2

Thomas Mann

My Library

Definitely from Madagascar - and possibly Perliedus madagascarensis, ... but another possibility is Boreosomus gillioti.

Maybe @oilshale will have a more solid ID. 

Nice fossil.  :) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Perleidus from the lower Triassic of Madagascar has recently been assigned to the new genus: Teffichthys

Marramà, G., Lombardo, C., Tintori, A., & Carnevale, G. (2017)

Redescription of ‘Perleidus’ (Osteichthyes, Actinopterygii) from the early Triassic of northwestern Madagascar.

Rivista Italiana di Paleontologia e Stratigrafia (Research in Paleontology and Stratigraphy), 123(2):219-242   PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Piranha is right, it's a Teffichthys madagascariensis from the Early Triassic of Madagascar.

The other fish in abyssunder's post is from the Early Triassic, Lower Qinglong Formation which is exposed at Qingshan Quarry, Jurong, Jiangsu Province of China. This fish is often sold under the name 'Lepidotes jurongensis'. In 2009, the fish was described by Li: A new parasemionotid-like fish from the lower triassic of Jurong, Jiangsu province, South China, Palaeontology 52(2):369 - 384 as Peia jurongensis.

Thomas

PS: Nice fish btw!

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Very nice fish!

Just for clarification, is it really only 10 1/2 millimeters (less that 1/2 an inch) long?  That seems very tiny for this species.

Don

I assumed that the dimensions were given wrong, they should have been ten times bigger to fit, but if the support for the nodule is Granite than the measurments might be good and there is a professional photo.  Hope we'll find out soon. :)

Meantime, here is the document mentioned by Thomas, if someone needed it: Q. Li. 2009. A new parasemionotid-like fish from the Lower Triassic of Jurong, Jiangsu province, South China, Palaeontology 52(2):369-384

Thomas Mann

My Library

My mistake: the measurements. I said millimeters when I should have said centimeters. I was brought up on feet and inches. I was rooting years ago when we were considering changing to metrics.