Illustration Studies for Fossil Shark Guide

Sharks of SC

Hello everyone,

I've had an idea for a while now to write and illustrate a guide on the fossil shark species of SC and how to find their remains. I really am not sure where I would like to begin, but my brainstorming process apparently involves a certain amount of doodling. These pages represent studies for how I might like certain parts of the guide to look, though all text will be typed in the final product. 

I am looking for any feedback - critique of the artwork, topics you'd like to see covered, additional information, etc., etc. 

enjoy!

Here's a page that started for a mock-up for the specific species Hemipristis serra. I also drew a representation of Isurus desori on the bottom...

DSC_0119.thumb.JPG.932aab1fa23c24a1b6e2c757321bbe90.JPG

A page dedicated to Carcharocles/Otodus megalodon (as I imagine him) 

5a2acb0fd3cff_DSC_01182.thumb.JPG.66596169aecc639a1099a352e3f4e7b4.JPG5a2acb11bce1c_DSC_01171.thumb.JPG.d80f6e6e4bd8565419f2a11995a36ad2.JPG

And a portion of a simple tooth guide (not really sure how to incorporate this yet) - 

5a2acb1e51bc6_DSC_01221.thumb.JPG.fb0b9b1e0340d0da1538705444d6956a.JPG

And thats most of what I've got so far. What do ya'll think?

These are professional grade drawings!

Fantastic work!  :wub: 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

These are professional grade drawings!

Fantastic work!  :wub: 

Regards, 

Thank you kindly, Tim!

Wow, great idea and work!

Maybe you can try to add a drawing of  full upper and lower teeth row for each shark? It's also important to know the different types of teeth within an individual. :)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Is it available at Amazon yet?

Your drawings are spectacular. This looks like a book every tooth hunter will want in their arsenal. Just fantastic! 

Please keep us updated on the progress.

Absolutely amazing drawings.  The details are superb. I am getting ready to compare my tooth collection to check and see if they are identified correctly.

I love the idea (and the execution!) of matching the teeth with an illustration of the shark that owned them, along with a measure of its length. Well done. And stippling! I love stippling! I'm ready to preorder a copy now! Best of luck with your project.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Just noticed this post now. Those drawings are a great start for such an ambitious project! I'm sure you'll be busy working on this for quite a while yet, so here's wishing you endurance and inspiration to bring it to a worthy conclusion. Please keep us updated as you move along.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yes, great start.  Big project.  I love the drawings.  I think it would be even cooler if you kept the handwritten text.  Your penmanship is very nice.  It looks better then Times New Roman.  

I often think of doing this for either White River Fm or the Lance slash Hell Creek, but I give up as soon as I start thinking about it.  Way to Go.  

19 hours ago, jpc said:

Yes, great start.  Big project.  I love the drawings.  I think it would be even cooler if you kept the handwritten text.  Your penmanship is very nice.  It looks better then Times New Roman.  

I often think of doing this for either White River Fm or the Lance slash Hell Creek, but I give up as soon as I start thinking about it.  Way to Go.  

I also think about doing that for some White River Fauna, but then I realize that I do not know how to draw.:(

53 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I also think about doing that for some White River Fauna, but then I realize that I do not know how to draw.:(

Bingo...

Sharks of SC I agree with JPC and you should keep the hand written lettering. 

Evidently based on another thread these drawings already have been enjoyed by the next young generation.

Absolutely beautiful!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 4 weeks later...

Outstanding artwork!  Writing a book is a lot of hard work but can be very energizing.  You are off to an excellent start!

Great work! I second or third or fourth the idea of hand text on the illustrations. I am NOT a shark guy but have had the opportunity to hunt with @jcbshark and have started a small collection thanks to him. As I watch different shark teeth show up for identification, I am amazed not only at being able to identify the species but even the LOCATION of the tooth within the mouth. I would love to see locational info included that gives novices some help with this. Maybe it would take 12 books to cover this topic but think of the fun you would have in preparation!!!

I can’t wait till this comes out, tell me how to purchase when it does. Don’t leave out any threshers! I have a fondness towards the for some reason...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived