Unidentified fossil bone

weaverja

I would like to have some help to identify this fossil. I know that it is fossilized, and I am pretty sure that it is a mammal femur, but I would like to find out what mammal and if it is for sure a femur. It was found in Northeast Oklahoma, and I am adding as many pics as I can with scale. So thanks for all the help that you can give.       

Fossilbone1.JPG

Fossilbone3.JPG

Hi @weaverja

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this fossil looks too badly degraded to be able to say anything for certain. Also are you sure it's bone? It might just be the images but I can't see any bone-like texture (although the hole through the middle could be a marrow cavity). As far as I can tell from geological maps the bed rock of north east Oklahoma appears to be predominantly palaeozoic, long before mammals appeared. There are some quartenary river deposits that could possibly produce large mammals so if it is a bone it would likely be from there, but I'm afraid what mammal it would be from would be very difficult to say. 

weaverja...

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to hop on the 'not a fossil' bandwagon here.  I'm not seeing any signs of the cancellous (spongy) inner bone that should be present.  What it IS, I can't begin to guess.  That hole in the center had me fooled for a couple of seconds, but I don't believe that it is bone.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

The hole in the center looks almost too round to be natural, and looking down from the top the wall thickness is very uniform.  Any chance it could be some sort of old cement piling that perhaps held a round wooden pole that has long since decomposed?  I’m not used to seeing concretions that look like that.

Welcome to the forum.  Where in the NE did you find this?  I live in the NE Oklahoma area too.  Most of what we find are fossiliferous concretions of things from the Devonian and Carboniferous periods.  The hole is very interesting though.

Archived