Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

Last night I took delivery of a phytosaur skull to prep. I think it might have been collected with a sledgehammer and a blender! There appears to be a very good portion of the skull and upper jaw preserved but many pieces are VERY small. :wacko: This is a perfect prep for the dark hours of winter. 

C53A9949-C2DD-46B3-900B-B20AAACD8732.thumb.jpeg.1dbc3ec26939d19986d7b2ecb21d8402.jpeg

The 4 sandwich baggies are the part that is going to hurt. 

Yikes! It looks like a major project; but I know it will turn out great. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Kris, that looks like one huge challenge. Good luck with it. Hopefully someday we'll get to see it all assembled. Now wouldn't that be something. By the way, I'm curious where it came from. 

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Yikes! It looks like a major project; but I know it will turn out great. 

34 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Kris, that looks like one huge challenge. Good luck with it. Hopefully someday we'll get to see it all assembled. Now wouldn't that be something. By the way, I'm curious where it came from. 

Fingers are crossed for sure. I was actually able to find a couple matching bits this evening and put them back together; the first couple bites out of the elephant!

It belongs to @StevenJDennis but he didn’t tell me where it came from. I’m assuming Arizona or New Mexico.

Excited to see how it turns out!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

10 hours ago, ynot said:

How long do You estimate this show to take?

Somewhere around 1,000,000 hours. :blink: :rofl:

Honestly, these are really hard to estimate because of the time consuming nature of finding matching bits of 210mya puzzle pieces. It could take upwards of 60 hours if I can match all the bits together.

Good luck with this one Kris.  Looks like a real challenge for sure!  Ive always liked 'the puzzles', but i dont think i would have wanted to tackle this?  Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.

RB

I have 4 hours into this and I’m starting to make a bit of progress. Apparently, the bits in the bags were collected rather haphazardly and are very loosely associated with each other. Once I figured that out, I started finding pieces that fit more frequently. This specimen is a classic example of why one should jacket a specimen in the field rather than bring it back in bits. At least it’s not Steven’s fault since he didn’t commit the collecting faux pas. :P

970A66AA-DE30-4869-8760-3F2CC4B43E4A.thumb.jpeg.94dea7d49b79c3e9cc75c75f663f071d.jpeg

Oh I'll definitely be following this thread with great anticipation. Looks like a fantastically fun and challenging project.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Does it come with assembly instructions?

Golly, that's hard. 

But the satisfaction when it's completed.............................

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Does it come with assembly instructions?

Golly, that's hard. 

But the satisfaction when it's completed.............................

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. Take every piece and try to fit them together. When you find one that fits, glue it and move on to the next. :P

Eagerly awaiting how this turns out.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Gawd! Looks like someone put part of that through the shredder! Any sign of teeth in those piles? I'm assuming that the long piece is the snout?

There are no teeth except for those sheered off in the jaw. Unfortunately, many of the broken off teeth appear to have been broken during collection. :(

Yes, the long piece is the snout.

19 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There are no teeth except for those sheered off in the jaw. Unfortunately, many of the broken off teeth appear to have been broken during collection

Thats got to  make some of us want to cry!!!  :(

RB

22 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There are no teeth except for those sheered off in the jaw. Unfortunately, many of the broken off teeth appear to have been broken during collection. :(

Yes, the long piece is the snout.

That's really a great pity.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Thats got to  make some of us want to cry!!!  :(

RB

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

That's really a great pity.

Yes it does and is but we’re going to make a run at bringing this back to life. :D

Here’s a pic of the snout as it sits now. 

3E5C2C42-68DB-46CF-8094-8FAB2779A1E3.thumb.jpeg.2cb3fabef9ecd491d04822f151db0f2b.jpeg

I have pretty much taken over the poker table in the game room. It’s significantly warmer and more comfortable than my prep station in the garage! 

59 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have pretty much taken over the poker table in the game room. It’s significantly warmer and more comfortable than my prep station in the garage! 

I infer that you must be employing the time-honored snolly prep method of quenching spousal ire via the judicious application of precious gemstones.

Otherwise, you would be hearing a phrase popular with the unassuaged snollywife; "get that filthy thing out of the house!"

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That already looks like an impressive specimen. Congratulations Kris on your efforts so far and thanks for sharing them. 

Archived