Yesterday I took Keith Minor to a few sites where I have found rare ammonite specimens. He wants to have pictures of those specimens in his book on North American ammonites which will be published at some point. He wanted to examine the depositional environment at the sites where I found them and he also wanted more experience hunting this part of the Austin Chalk Formation. While we were at the site where I found this echinoid we saw chickenwire bags full of the same matrix from where my specimen came. He confirmed that the fauna and the matrix all points to the Edwards Formation. He said that the oysters were indeed of the genus Chondrodonta and that the striated fossils are not parts of oysters but instead are the tubular insides of rudists, which makes more sense.

He was skeptical at first that my echinoid could be a T. hudspethensis specimen if it was from the Edwards Formation, but after I told him what Bill said and after he examined the specimen closer, he agreed that it is likely a T. hudspethensis specimen.   

Case closed!

Keith’s good people.  I’ve done many hunts with him and when he finally publishes his work, you’ll see a bunch of ammos from my collection.  I really wish his website was still active.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

57 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Keith’s good people.  I’ve done many hunts with him and when he finally publishes his work, you’ll see a bunch of ammos from my collection.  I really wish his website was still active.

When it comes to Cretaceous fossils he is one of the most knowledgeable people out there. He is also very friendly and down to earth, and always wanting to learn more. I hope to be able to provide more ammonites for his book and to be able to hunt with him more. Always a pleasure! 

For the record, here is a snapshot of Keith Minor’s website preserved on the Wayback Machine from August 20, 2007. This is the latest date at which the website is accesssble. It still has all the pictures and descriptions. A very helpful resource! 

EDIT: Well, perhaps not every bit of the website is preserved. It appears that some pictures in the Plants section are missing. But other than a few anomalies the website is almost entirely intact.

That link may be worth pinning as its own topic as most specimens have multiple views in hi res.  Some taxa have been reassigned over the last 10 yrs, but that’s easy to sort thru.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 5 weeks later...

The Echinoid Directory is one of the best websites for echinoids.  It will definitely help you identify to the Genus level.

Species level of identification with this website will probably not happen except but in a few cases.  I used this website extensively in my research.

No need to be reluctant to assign a species name, instead I challenge everyone to identify their specimens to species level.

Thank you for sharing your rare specimen with others.  It is a wonderful specimen.

Bill

11 hours ago, Bill Thompson said:

The Echinoid Directory is one of the best websites for echinoids.  It will definitely help you identify to the Genus level.

Species level of identification with this website will probably not happen except but in a few cases.  I used this website extensively in my research.

No need to be reluctant to assign a species name, instead I challenge everyone to identify their specimens to species level.

Thank you for sharing your rare specimen with others.  It is a wonderful specimen.

Bill

Thanks!

Archived