Shark teeth from Morocco ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

ThePrehistoricMaster

Hi, I need ID help with six shark teeth found in Morocco.:meg:

I'm thinking the two in the middle are Otodus, but I'm no expert.

20171209_125421.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Some of them might be Cretolamna biauriculata.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I believe the 3 and 4 tooth are Cretolamna the 5th tooth possibly a Striatolamia striata, last one a Carcharias possibly vincenti

Cool reference list for moroccan teeth

http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollection/sharkteeth list totaal/totaal sharteeth list.htm

That’s a lot easier to use than Agassiz! Also, I like the Holiday icon:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The teeth with the well developed nutrient groves are from sand tiger sharks.  There are a number of genera/species of sand tigers present in Morocco and it is very difficult to id them from pictures and with no time period data.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 5

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I think first two on the left are O. obliquus (first one is pathological), next one is Jaeckelotodus robustus with worn cusplets, the next one is Brachycarcharias lerichei , next two are Carchaias spp. lateral and anterior respectively. The  problem is that sharks from morocco Eocene are very poorly described, especially sandsharks. Most of the taxa used by sellers are invalid, so the most correct way of calling sandshark teeth like the last two ones from there is Carcharias sp. (although if Eocene teeth can actually be referred to a modern genus Carcharias is another debatable question...) or Odontaspididae indet.

The Tooth Fairy