Mammal Phalanx bone ?

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hi there,

I pulled up this bone out of my screen on Friday and was curious what you thought.  I started thinking it was near an ankle or wrist but the closest I have come so far is a horse medial phalanx.  At least it looks like a similar function/position.  This bone though is asymmetrical so I don't think it is from a horse or Equus sp. The creek cuts through a Late Oligocene marine and then a re-worked Pliocene/Pleistocene.

I have been looking at references for giant armadillos but it would be great if someone more familiar with mammal bones might have a better clue .... I am missing images from the side.

01_FingerBone_SummervilleSC__120817.thumb.jpg.b92c90a865c92fd476118299f0f35fab.jpg

Thanks,

Brett

Example Horse medial phalanx

EquusMedialPhalanx.thumb.jpg.c948f3e834926af58c3125782edc9e61.jpg

I don't recognize the bone, but I can eliminate lots of possibilities.  What I'm left with is qn elephantoid, lateral, medial phalanx.  Just a guess.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

42 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I don't recognize the bone, but I can eliminate lots of possibilities.  What I'm left with is qn elephantoid, lateral, medial phalanx.  Just a guess.

Hi Harry,

Thanks ! ... I'll do some additional hunting with that in mind. I'll snap some additional photos tomorrow.  I appreciate the time and expertise.

Cheers,

Brett

On 12/9/2017 at 11:27 PM, Harry Pristis said:

Thanks Again,

After consulting with some locals it looks like they were coming to the same conclusion a juvenile mammoth phalanx ... similar to the image.  Though I'm trying to run down better images/illustrations of the bone in question.

24993184_10212350108761350_6392590080469393996_n.thumb.jpg.a2df2c08761f5f3126c85278ea75a20a.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Archived