Rock with deep cuts

chillymellow

I found this rock on my property.  In general, it doesn't seem like anything special.  Pretty much like the other large rocks I have dug up out here, mostly flint and chert.

What is odd about this rock is that it has several deep cuts.  They are fairly straight, no saw marks or jagged edges.  I have no clue how the cuts were made but they look like someone sliced into a big hunk of cheese.  The cuts are on top, bottom, and sides.

It is hard to tell from the pictures how deep the slices are, but I stuck some oak leaves into some of the cuts to show a bit of depth.

Any ideas?

_20171210_022222.JPG

20171210_025114-COLLAGE.jpg

These should be better.  Type of rock, well, I am quite the amateur.  Quartz/almost flint, some small fossils in it, some dusting of quartz crystals on the surface.

KIMG0593.jpg

KIMG0594.jpg

KIMG0595.jpg

KIMG0596.jpg

KIMG0597.jpg

KIMG0598.jpg

KIMG0599.jpg

KIMG0600.jpg

KIMG0601.jpg

KIMG0602.jpg

KIMG0603.jpg

It seems strange that this is the only rock out here with any type of cuts.  Also the cuts are so smooth.  I've watched as my ex used his rock saws to cut slabs and there were usually some saw marks.  I don't see how it could be anything different though. 

I guess it will remain a mystery to me why so many cuts, as nothing seems to have been cut off, and how it came to be buried in the ground out here.  Or when.  

Thanks for looking and commenting!

It could have been a shelf someone used to saw a hard material with something like a chainsaw for example.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hmmm, I see what you all are describing as cuts..Those are odd that dont make complete sense to me...could be just the optics in the photos but they dont all look perfectly straight and the same width. Are they? 

What is this linear feature that runs across horizontally in your 1st photo that I've cropped here...

5a2deda631d7c_Unknownwithcracksfracturescuts.jpg.a38b386ee331e73dbf19b09ac3b90f81.jpg

Almost looks like a infilled mineral vein or shell remains that crosses thru the cut?  Or is that an actual continuous cut/groove?  Could there be fractures and/or shell molds here and some silica infill/replacement in different places by any chance? Seems like there are fragments of something going on there...

What about this photo with the Y shape to it...Are both cuts perfectly straight and the same width? Are there very fine grooves at the bottom of the cuts? 

5a2df23d81437_Lineargrooves.jpg.228fbbdeb76065cf18584f0376d6e880.jpg

Interesting what ever they are......thanks for the questions. 

Regards, Chris

In the second set of pictures - the eighth picture clearly shows a saw mark.

Have some petrified wood chunks in the front yard. Several Years ago a contractor used one as a stand for trimming some tile.:angry: The cuts he put into the piece look much the same as Your piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived