drbush

Hi friends i was  in an area to the north of Riyadh city this weekend and i found this fossil , it looks like ammonite ? I need ur help 

IMG_2017-12-10_12-45-53.JPG

5 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Why do you think it's a nautilus?

It has the exact shape of a nautilus. Look at the photo bottom-left. The centre has broken off, and you can see the hole where it fitted in. I've found hundreds of broken nautiluses exactly like this one. I'll go out on a limb and say this is definitely a nautilus!

very eroded and incomplete, but it looks like a nautilus to me as well. Bottom left picture you can see a possible siphuncle

I'll add my vote to the majority for nautilus, although I can't make out the septal walls or lobes clearly in the photos, which leaves the possibility open for a cadicone ammonite. @Taogan What is the position of the siphuncle? I can't make it out, but that would confirm the one or the other, since by nautili it's in the middle and by ammonites it's directly under the venter.

Edit: I falsely tipped Aurelius before I noticed that it was Taogan. Sorry for any possible confusion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ludwigia there is a circular feature with a hole dead centre of the chamber in the picture lower left. It may be nothing, but it is in the right place for a siphuncle on a nautilus and it could be one. I am not certain though, it is a bit small and indistinct.

I agree with the others, it's a nautiloid, but i don't see nor the siphuncle @Taogan sees, nor the suture lines of an ammonite.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

34 minutes ago, Taogan said:

@Ludwigia there is a circular feature with a hole dead centre of the chamber in the picture lower left. It may be nothing, but it is in the right place for a siphuncle on a nautilus and it could be one. I am not certain though, it is a bit small and indistinct.

I see what you mean now. Could very well be. I'll stick with nautiloid. The general form fits as well.

2 hours ago, drbush said:

can this help in the diagnosis ?

Yep. It is definitely a nautilus. No doubt whatsoever. Although I couldn't tell you the exact type. What age are the rocks there?

7 hours ago, drbush said:

thank you all for the information ... could it be Eutrephoceras sp.?

The outer form doesn't appear to fit. You would need to research the stratigraphy of the site where you found it in order to narrow down the possibilities, since many nautili from various ages look quite similar to each other and this one is not very well preserved, which doesn't help with determination.