Help with location of this Meg tooth.

dontom

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with the location of this Meg tooth. I know color alone prob won’t give me an exact location but I was hoping someone would be able to narrow it down to a couple locations. 

Also was $47 a good deal for this tooth?  I know the forum doesn’t allow appraisals but I’m not sure if this question is considered a appraisal. If so then please ignore this part. 

Thanks for any help. 

34B867A1-69DC-4646-82DF-102E78E28E48.jpeg

A537FB21-873E-43B0-AEC9-C196176C2C2E.jpeg

91C1F80B-139D-4EB3-9488-106DD3EE353C.jpeg

Fantastic price for a tooth in that good condition and size.  Nice pickup.  One possibility is Shark tooth Hill in Bakersfield, CA they have cream/tan teeth.  Number of other sites.

Hmmm...I believe that the ones from Shark Tooth Hill usually have much more lightly colored roots than the ones from Carolina or Florida, so that might be an indicator...but I'm by no means a great expert on the subject. Nice catch, by the way.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I think the best that can be said is "a good pick-up" for $47. However, the crown does exhibit coloration somewhat similar to STH megs but so do other locations.

A well preserved one, nice.:dinothumb:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Great piece. Very good buy. I’d say more likley east coast find only because of the price unless someone didn’t know what they had. It does look like possible STH preservation but they normally command a premium just because of location. Here in SW Florida you can find any color under the rainbow so that’s not Necessarily a good judge of location. I would guess possibly Carribean or South American as some alternatives based on color and condition alone but that being said they also are worth more than east coast teeth

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Great piece. Very good buy. I’d say more likley east coast find only because of the price unless someone didn’t know what they had. It does look like possible STH preservation but they normally command a premium just because of location. Here in SW Florida you can find any color under the rainbow so that’s not Necessarily a good judge of location. I would guess possibly Carribean or South American as some alternatives based on color and condition alone but that being said they also are worth more than east coast teeth

I don't think the seller knew what they had.  This was the only fossil item they had for sale and they had it listed as: large fossil shark tooth.  They didn't have anything else in the title so I don't think this was seen by a lot of people.  The description didn't really give any info it only said "large shark tooth as found".  Not sure if they found it themselves or not.  If so they are located in West Virginia.  I'm going to write them now and see if they have anymore info on the tooth because I'd really like to get the location for it.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and all the info and opinions that they have provided.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:18 AM, Ludwigia said:

Hmmm...I believe that the ones from Shark Tooth Hill usually have much more lightly colored roots than the ones from Carolina or Florida, so that might be an indicator...but I'm by no means a great expert on the subject. Nice catch, by the way.

I doubt it's from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed too.  There are teeth from there with dark roots.  The tooth in question looks like it was dark-colored but then started getting bleached out.  It might have sat at or near the surface at some land site for a while.  It's lost its superficial dark color but the eroded patches show it is still dark inside.  I would guess that it's from a land site that gets good rain or at least got enough rain over a couple of years to wash out the color of the tooth and start weathering it (see the pitting on the labial side of the root).  It resembles some teeth I've seen from Ridgeville, South Carolina though I don't recall seeing a meg from there (a Pliocene site better known for great whites).

Jess

I agree with Jess. My first take on this tooth was South Carolina... maybe Summerville.  Now this is REALLY a guess... but like Jeff, I am thinking South East coast of the US.

$47 for a 3 inch Meg with good serrations and complete tip  -- you will not be seeing any prices close to this in the future.  Enjoy your good fortune. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the comments and for helping me narrow down the location to a few possible spots.  I did contact the seller and asked if they had any information on where this tooth was first found.  She didn't find the tooth herself.  She said that the person she got it from was living in Alaska at the time and that he lived in Canada for awhile before that.  She said that she got it from him a long time ago and she believes he was the one that orig found the tooth.  It was nice of her to respond but sadly that didn't really give me anything more to go on.