Potential fossil and an interesting rock from Etobicoke Creek

Monica

Hello all!

It's been a while since I last put up something to be identified because it's been a very busy few months (we recently sold our old house and have moved into our new house - yay!!!)  I did get out with the kids today, though (mainly because Viola has to take her Brownie group's owl all over the place this week, and we thought that it would be fun to take him fossil-hunting :)), and there's one potential fossil and one rock that I'd like your thoughts on...

Picture #1: Viola with her Brownie group's owl (Oscar) and a fairly large orthoconic nautiloid

5a2dd621aa750_DSCN2370(2).thumb.JPG.269684c902bce9b083f4e71064db3945.JPG

Picture #2: The potential fossil - could it be part of an Isotelus sp. trilobite?  Or is it something human-made?

5a2dd627b3b09_DSCN2381(2).thumb.JPG.b29a109d77acbd174847947ef042144e.JPG

Picture #3: A cool-looking rock - any ideas as to what type it is?

5a2dd62bca6ca_DSCN2384(2).thumb.JPG.141a4aaa42e5d725c4de605506007e1c.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help!

Monica

• I found this Informative 1

Skye and I have a similar owl called Swoops :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I’m thinking maybe the weird rock could be a iron concretion (hence the scaliness) with a high concentration of hematite (hence dark color) but this is just a guess.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The first piece looks like concrete to Me.  (More views could change that opinion.)

The second looks like an igneous rock similar to granite where one (or more) of the minerals have decomposed and left holes.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing human-made in this picture, but I'm wondering if it can't have anything related to crinoids (in the left part of the picture). :)

5a2dd62797643_DSCN2381(2).JPG.380e103c389feec6a820c0aeb7b416c0.JPG.48e3f0620679e905939a74d3ee992160.JPG_16C6427.JPG.13bf8b5eb6373bfaecf9b7e72c1d66f7.thumb.JPG.d25c5936795c50ca6ab83126acb00ec6.JPG

comparative image from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think that that's a trilobite bit, but as you know, it's not always easy to judge from photos. It just doesn't seem to have the right substance or color. That nautiloid looks interesting, anyway, and Viola and the owl both look great!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/