Ammonight

Hello all!

I'm planning to go to UK next year someday and find some fossils at the yorkshire coast areas. Any suggestions on what time to go next year for the best 'loot'? And, what tools should I prepare and bring there? Besides, what can I find besides ammonites?

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

From what I've seen a rock hammer for splitting nodules would be a very good idea since most of the best fossils in that area seem to come from the nodules. 

Yes, a heavy hammer, chisels and a bolster, plenty of paper and small boxes for wrapping and a good pair of boots. 

I used to find the best time was after the spring storms and high tides. 

Pelecypods , gastropods, brachiopods and plant remains are also frequently found, depending on where you go. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Oh, and thermal underwear and about six layers of warm clothing. 

It's invariably freezing and blowing a gale ^_^

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Taogan said:

:ighappy:The weather in Yorkshire is beautiful, always warm enough for short sleeves (if you come from Yorkshire).

Haha, indeed. Being a ‘soft southerner‘ as I’m regularly called by the ‘Norveners’, I wear long sleeves in the summer there ;)

On 11/12/2017 at 1:19 AM, Ammonight said:

Hello all!

I'm planning to go to UK next year someday and find some fossils at the yorkshire coast areas. Any suggestions on what time to go next year for the best 'loot'? And, what tools should I prepare and bring there? Besides, what can I find besides ammonites?

Hey... Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness, Whitby, Ravenscar and a few others in between, all good places to hunt, I take main hammer, little light hammer with small chisel and two large chisels (just incase) loads of various ammonites to be had a long with Ichthyosaur bits n pieces and the occasional Plesiosaur bits, fossil plants and if your really lucky possibly crocodile bits, would wrap up warm and keep your peepers open. Cheers, Alan.

Interesting topic for me.  My son and his fiancé live outside of London and have promised to take me fossil hunting next time I am there.  They are getting married next spring, so that’s probably when I will next visit.  Are there any laws I should be aware of before I go?  I’ve heard that in some places you are not allowed to dig, only collect what is on the surface.  And any concerns about bringing fossils back to the USA?  I think one of the questions immigration asks is whether you have been on a farm, but I suppose fossil sites are not farms.

5 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Interesting topic for me.  My son and his fiancé live outside of London and have promised to take me fossil hunting next time I am there.  They are getting married next spring, so that’s probably when I will next visit.  Are there any laws I should be aware of before I go?  I’ve heard that in some places you are not allowed to dig, only collect what is on the surface.  And any concerns about bringing fossils back to the USA?  I think one of the questions immigration asks is whether you have been on a farm, but I suppose fossil sites are not farms.

There are a few restrictions, for instance on some National Trust land, or off limit areas, but basically, the British are open to collecting by the general public and it is even encouraged in some areas, like the Jurassic Coast in the south. More specific information is available here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

15 hours ago, Crann said:

Hey... Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness, Whitby, Ravenscar and a few others in between, all good places to hunt, I take main hammer, little light hammer with small chisel and two large chisels (just incase) loads of various ammonites to be had a long with Ichthyosaur bits n pieces and the occasional Plesiosaur bits, fossil plants and if your really lucky possibly crocodile bits, would wrap up warm and keep your peepers open. Cheers, Alan.

@Ammolite

I just wanted say be very careful with the tides especially at Runswick bay if your hunting for belemnites .

I would love to buy a house at Runswick Bay just a beautiful place.

Good luck .

34 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Ammolite

I just wanted say be very careful with the tides especially at Runswick bay if your hunting for belemnites .

Good luck .

Excuse me, but I think you've alerted the wrong member. Didn't you mean @Ammonight ?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Ammolite

Good luck .

Runswick is a lovely place, I found my Phyllioceras there and my best Hildoceras, Runswick not bad for tide as ways up/scramble places a plenty, Port you can pretty much hunt at high tide anyway, Kettleness and Staithes can be a bit crazy but can be fun...

2 minutes ago, Crann said:

Runswick is a lovely place, I found my Phyllioceras there and my best Hildoceras, Runswick not bad for tide as ways up/scramble places a plenty, Port you can pretty much hunt at high tide anyway, Kettleness and Staithes can be a bit crazy but can be fun...

Thanks that is true but if you go as far right as you can get there is lots of  belemnites. I found the  tide comes in there very quickly . So not to dangerous but not much collecting time.

19 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Drop me a message if you come over. :)

3 hours ago, Crann said:

... you guys... Just got a gopro hero 5 for my birthday, fossil adventures for sure...

Happy birthday , sorry I don’t know what a GoPro hero 5 is but it  sounds like you are really going to enjoy it .:D

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Happy birthday , sorry I don’t know what a GoPro hero 5 is but it  sounds like you are really going to enjoy it .:D

Thanks, just hit 40, had 4 days away, just got back, gopro is a tiny high quality camera so I can record some fossil hunting activities :dinothumb:

49 minutes ago, Crann said:

Thanks, just hit 40, had 4 days away, just got back, gopro is a tiny high quality camera so I can record some fossil hunting activities :dinothumb:

That sounds cool and very useful, nice gift. 

thanks everyone for your replies :) I think I'm just gonna hunt for fossils all day during my trip!

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

On 20/12/2017 at 6:17 AM, Ammonight said:

thanks everyone for your replies :) I think I'm just gonna hunt for fossils all day during my trip!

Go find your Destiny my child... ha

Archived