Macrophyseter

I've just visited this hill directly north of the Trump National Golf Course (yes, the president owned a golf course in my city :blink:) which I was told by a museum docent had fossil fish scales. Here's what I found which could possibly be fish scale fossils, but I need a full confirmation on this.

Some notes

-All three rocks are associated- they were all part of a giant piece of shale rock which was broken into pieces when I found it.

-The "fish scales" are a more darker or orange brown.

-I think I was unable to capture the best possible detail due to the absence of natural lighting which made details more camouflaged.

-Each "fish scale" lie on only one layer, throwing off the possibility of it being a crystal.

-The black stuff are dendrites or a similar type.

-Found in the Palos Verdes Hills, directly north of the Trump National Golf Course.

Rock 1

XAgzXlX.jpg

c7PnYyW.jpg

KGfsDk6.jpg

3672mMP.jpg

Rock 2

DZHKU7H.jpg

fB9nRoQ.jpg

Rock 3

AQnHOVw.jpg

0Iu8tFv.jpg

Is this my first ever fossil find or another bust?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

The rock looks like a volcanic ash and the orange areas look like plant debris to Me.

Better detailed pictures may change that opinion.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

The rock looks like a volcanic ash and the orange areas look like plant debris to Me.

The rock is shale, but for some reason when I also look at the picture I don't feel like it looks sedimentary, probably something with the camera's focus. This is the most detailed I can get for now.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

14 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

so shale wouldn't be sedimentary?

No, I meant that the focus of the camera made the rock look unlike shale, but let's just drop that because I feel like this misunderstanding might start a pointless shale debate, and thanks for the article!

19 minutes ago, ynot said:

I still think the orange areas look like plant debris.

But fish scales or plant debris, its still a fossil, right? That means I probably found my first ever fossil find! :yay-smiley-1:

17 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

so shale wouldn't be sedimentary?

Isn't that the way it usually works?:headscratch:

Edit Whoops I misread the statement. Dyslexia strikes again.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Macro,you're right.Closer inspection of your post makes me think i totally misunderstood it.We're all human,right?

BTW:your enthousiasm is infectious:ighappy:

3 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

But fish scales or plant debris, its still a fossil, right? That means I probably found my first ever fossil find! :yay-smiley-1:

Congrats...

4 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

No, I meant that the focus of the camera made the rock look unlike shale, but let's just drop that because I feel like this misunderstanding might start a pointless shale debate, and thanks for the article!

I'm trying to remember if I've ever been part of a pointless shale debate (maybe when I was in college):

In any case check this book:

https://www.amazon.com/fossils-palos-verdes-hills-cocke/dp/149515534X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512983951&sr=8-1&keywords=palos+verdes+fossils

19 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

From what I can see, I would say they are fossils! This looks interesting too. It doesn't look shiny enough for a ganoid scale, but it does have potential :)

scale.jpg

Thanks guys! Also, today I found another associated piece which I forgot about in my bag. This time, there is something that kinda looks like a potential scale. Any opinions?

YGX6YEE.jpg

nD6YNr7.jpg

WfGTNa9.jpg

Sorry to be such a party pooper, but I find all of the photos don't show enough detail for me to be able to make a proper judgement on whether they are fish, plant, mineral or something completely different. If I were you, I'd show them to your museum docent for confirmation.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived