Doubts on the ID and authenticity of Moroccan specimens

mediterranic

Hello guys,

hope everybody is fine.

today some doubts about the authenticity of some specimens here. At the same time, help on the correct ID of them will be apreciated.

In your opinion, is this a composite or just a bad preparation?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel Pais

2082h.JPG

2082p.JPG

2082i.JPG

2082a.JPG

2082b.JPG

My Academia.edu profile - My About Me page 

Looks like the "pygidium" has been glued on. At least I would think that the thorax should be longer. Actually, on second thought, that doesn't look like a pygidium, but rather the end of the thorax has been rounded off. Any signs of glue between the red arrows? It also looks like it could do with a good once over with an air abrader.

2082a.thumb.JPG.43936d40303fbe67f3446d930202ea4e.1.jpg.e9e03e70011f249ac3f8d43da53d96b1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks like the "pygidium" has been glued on. At least I would think that the thorax should be longer. Actually, on second thought, that doesn't look like a pygidium, but rather the end of the thorax has been rounded off. Any signs of glue between the red arrows? It also looks like it could do with a good once over with an air abrader.

2082a.thumb.JPG.43936d40303fbe67f3446d930202ea4e.1.jpg.e9e03e70011f249ac3f8d43da53d96b1.jpg

I agree, the pygidium is simply a few composited thoracic segments that were rounded off to give the appearance of a complete trilobite.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

My guess is that when this was broken out of its nodule or rock the break occurred.

This is quite standard even with good specimens to locate the fossil and determine the angle and place to begin prepping. 

The fossil is then glued back together and prepping commences, not very well in this case, may even have been an amateur or someone in training. 

The rounded off thorax may have been natural within the 'pebble' (so to speak) or artificially done to disguise the missing pygidium. 

It looks artificially rounded off to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png