CP-9361 Care

oldtimer

I have a new CP-9361 and we all know the cost of these.  I am wanting to know about care and treatment for this tool.  Should it be oiled will air tool oil?  How often? What other things need to be done to insure a long lasting tool?  Are there any week points or things I should watch for?  I have used it and it sure makes fast work at getting the matrix removed.  Thanks for the recommendations the members have given. 

In terms of oil, I have heard one drop per 8 hours of use. I’ll tag @Ptychodus04 who knows much more than I do about oil and care of these tools. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks @Kane. I use 3-4 drops of air tool oil in the hose inlet every 8-10 hours or so. The major point of wear is going to be the stylus. The stock stylus is rather blunt and short. There's not much you can do other than periodically replace it to keep it sharp. Paleo Tools makes a conversion that allows the 9361 to use their styli. I plan to upgrade my 9361 in the spring as my stylus is starting to show significant wear.

One thing to keep in mind with most air scribes is stalling and start up failure. If your scribe begins to stall during use, this usually means it's dirty. I'll take it apart and clean the bits with some clean oil to remove the gunk and then oil as usual. If it's really bad, I'll drop 20-30 drops into the hose and let the scribe hang over a bucket for a few days. Then let it run for a few minutes to blow the extra oil into a towel before first use.

Start up failure is a common feature with Chicao Pneumatics, Aros, and even Paleo Tools scribes. You turn it on and nothing happens or you hear the air hissing through with not stylus movement. This is usually caused when the scribe sits a long time without use or the scribe remains attached to the compressed air source when off. Simply tap the side of the housing a couple times against your bench and it usually fires right up. Don't tap the stylus or you will break it off. This will become more common as the scribe ages.

Thanks Ptychodus for the tips.  I have some time with the tool now.  As you said it does stall at start up some times.  But that seemed usual after I got over that it did not start when the dial was turn on the first time. My heart stopped at least 2 beats. :(   I assume it is just sticky with dry oil and sitting in stock for some time.  Harbor Freight sells a small bottle of air tool cleaner designed for cleaning air tools.  Directions say add 5 to 10 drops and let set for 10 minutes.  Blow through to clean, add oil and use tool.  Wonder if this would help aid in cleaning?

17 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks Ptychodus for the tips.  I have some time with the tool now.  As you said it does stall at start up some times.  But that seemed usual after I got over that it did not start when the dial was turn on the first time. My heart stopped at least 2 beats. :(   I assume it is just sticky with dry oil and sitting in stock for some time.  Harbor Freight sells a small bottle of air tool cleaner designed for cleaning air tools.  Directions say add 5 to 10 drops and let set for 10 minutes.  Blow through to clean, add oil and use tool.  Wonder if this would help aid in cleaning?

I think that start up issue is more about overcoming the inertia in the mechanics than about oil. It’s just part of using these tools. If it is stalling during use, that’s different.

Archived