T rex Hell Creek tooth ?

Bradb54

Hello

I am new to this site and I was hoping that someone could help me out.

I friend of mine a few years back borrowed some money and gave me what he said was a T Rex tooth from the Hell Creek formation

as collateral   I was recommended to this sight by Shawn at fossil era .   I was hoping that someone could help me identify the tooth and give me an approximate value

I am not sure that i am interested in selling the tooth because it is so cool and I know I will probably never get another one.   any information would be greatly appreciated   

Thank you in advance

Brad

trex6.jpg

trex5.jpg

trex4.jpg

trex1.jpg

trex3.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, TFF rules do not allow appraisals, so cannot tell you the exact worth. 

I myself am not an actual expert, but @Troodon is. But that's not gonna stop me from trying to help. Assuming that the ruler is in centimeters (based on format), that tooth would be almost 2 inches (1.9 or 1.8 inches) . It's definitely a tyrannosaur tooth, but I think it's possible that it's actually a Nanotyrannus tooth instead, which as far as I know have near-identical morphology to that of Tyrannosaurus teeth, but except much smaller. However I have seen 2-inch Tyrannosaurus teeth before, so it's either one of the two.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Welcome to the forum.  Going to need a few more pictures to help you.  Can you take one of the base of the tooth, a straight in shot and not at an angle.  Also would like to see a bit lighter picture of both sides, straight in shot.  It's a Tyrannosaurid tooth but the question is what species. Do you have any idea where it was found and a very important question to get to an ID?

Will not be able to help you with you other request, forum members do not do appraisals.  You can look at other websites like fossilera to see what they get on teeth. 

hello   Thank you so much for your reply    I just uploaded more pics      also he told me he found it at the Hell Creek formation  South Dakota 

Thank you so much for your reply     as far a monitory value   it is not that important   I was just curious     I just posted some more pics  

again thank you so much

Brad

Thanks if it's South Dakota its Hell Creek.  I'm leaning towards Nanotyrannus not because of the length of the tooth but because of the overall shape, the curvature.  Here is a photo of the Nano "Jane" and you can see the morphology is similar to yours.  Your serrations on inside edge also appear very fine.  Can you take a close up of them and also an overall photo of the outside serrations. Thanks

IMG_2775.jpg.b697bf8b21210bb308a564d68977d7b8.jpg

If you are in Scottsdale in Arizona, you could go to Tucson at the end of January and beginning of February to talk to fossil dealers at the Rock and Mineral show to get a good idea of how much it is worth. Or just poke around and see what others like it are selling for, or at least how they are priced. But you will have to go in there convinced that you will not sell it.  

Good point @jpc but more important show it to Pete Larsen who is always at his booth answering questions about tyrannosaurid teeth.   He's one of the best in the business and may put a price on it.

Thanks John

Serrations are clearer and very Nano.  I'm of the mindset that this is a Nano. 

Just do not see the bulk for a Rex and that curvature is more Nano than Rex.  Great tooth for any collection

Archived