Moroccan Jurassic Ammonite

connorp

I just received this large and beautiful Jurassic ammonite from Morocco, from near Talsint. I was wondering if anyone might be able to identify it for me. The sutures are definitely ammonitic, but that's about all I got.

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

I'm afraid it's going to be extremely difficult to identify this one, since it's been sanded and polished to such a point that identifying features like sculpture and ribbing have been eradicated. It would be necessary to know more precisely from which stratigraphical unit it originates, since google just told me that the beds around Talsint range from Cretaceous up into the Jurassic.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Most of the ammos from around there are Bajocian, I believe, but as Ludwigia says, it could be another age. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I'll try and get more info on the formation it came from from the seller but am not gonna have much hope. On another note, I was curious about the preparation at the aperture. I haven't really seen prep like this before. Is it for stability or something else?

IMG_3918.thumb.JPG.8d733a09ea5eea53694f8645d9a6e0a4.JPGIMG_3917.thumb.JPG.3d562283e64892babf40e4f1c32f6aa7.JPG

1 hour ago, connorp said:

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I'll try and get more info on the formation it came from from the seller but am not gonna have much hope. On another note, I was curious about the preparation at the aperture. I haven't really seen prep like this before. Is it for stability or something else?

IMG_3918.thumb.JPG.8d733a09ea5eea53694f8645d9a6e0a4.JPGIMG_3917.thumb.JPG.3d562283e64892babf40e4f1c32f6aa7.JPG

I think someone was just trying to accentuate the septal wall. Has nothing to do with stability.

• I found this Informative 3

Elegantly said. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I think someone was just trying to accentuate the septal wall. Has nothing to do with stability.

yup

For the new girl, someone explain "sutures," please. Are they those beautiful squiggly lines all over the specimen?

3 hours ago, KraZshardLady said:

For the new girl, someone explain "sutures," please. Are they those beautiful squiggly lines all over the specimen?

Yup. Those are the impressions left my the septal walls on the shell, or in this case the calcite steinkern...now you've got a couple more things to google :)