Maybe silurian sponge fossil, or something else entirely???

Wilco65

I found this along the Fox River in Elgin, IL. At first I thought it was a stromatoporoid fossil (I find them everywhere in this area), but upon closer inspection I couldn't see anything that looked like pillars or laminae. Someone suggested chaetetid sponge, or a stromatoporoid that was distorted by silicification. I can't find any photos that look like my spec. except dino bone and we don't have those in northern Illinois. Is it a natural formation, crazy looking oolites? I'm totally stumped!

PicsArt_12-05-03.25.39.jpg

20171205_155234.jpg

PicsArt_12-12-07.12.00.jpg

PicsArt_12-12-07.02.38.jpg

More pics

Screenshot_20171130-165818.png

Looks like a stromatolite, to me,  with the wavy layers. 

Maybe someone else will weigh in, though. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

51 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a stromatolite, to me,  with the wavy layers. 

Maybe someone else will weigh in, though. 

Regards,

As far as I know (which is very little), stromatolites don't have these kinds of cell-like structures.

I agree.

However i am not clever enough to suggest what it is.

Stromatoporoid?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like a biomat or stromatolites to me, but it also looks like it might have a higher silica based mineral content than some. It could be a cryptocrystalline form of silica along the lines of chalcedony. 

Off hand Id say its a nice piece of banded agate, but what similar type fossils are found in this area?  The idea is to find more specimens that have a better more definitive shape or pattern.  We find a lot of zebra jasper in the Redwall here in Arizona mixed in with fossils, they are not fossils, but the silica in them is from a marine bio source originally.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

I'm not saying is that, but it looks close to an agatized Titea singularis.

TiteaBZ2560.jpeg.877b7f6c01180e29f58c94ced464d41b.jpeg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for all your responses! The fossils in my area are marine fossils, primarily silurian era. I live in NE Illinois about 40 miles inland of Lake Michigan. Lots of glacial topography and glacial till. Stromatoporoid fossils and fragments are everywhere and except for the layers, this one doesn't look like any I've seen. 

I've recently started to learn about chaetetid sponge fossils and realized that I have some but thought they were tabulate coral. They have some similarities to this fossil but I haven't seen any where the structures line up like mine.

I was thinking it might be a random bone or plant fossil that happened to wash up from somewhere. Unlikely but not impossible; however, I'm pretty sure I spotted a piece of crinoid stem in my fossil. I'll have to check again.

I've found all kinds of chert/jasper/chalcedony, etc. (often in the same rock, with druzy quartz and fossils too!) but not with these structures inside.

I honestly don't know why I'm so captivated by this piece! Probably because it's beautiful and mysterious, lol.

• I found this Informative 4

• 5 years later...
On 12/13/2017 at 1:57 PM, Wilco65 said:

Thanks for all your responses! The fossils in my area are marine fossils, primarily silurian era. I live in NE Illinois about 40 miles inland of Lake Michigan. Lots of glacial topography and glacial till. Stromatoporoid fossils and fragments are everywhere and except for the layers, this one doesn't look like any I've seen. 

I've recently started to learn about chaetetid sponge fossils and realized that I have some but thought they were tabulate coral. They have some similarities to this fossil but I haven't seen any where the structures line up like mine.

I was thinking it might be a random bone or plant fossil that happened to wash up from somewhere. Unlikely but not impossible; however, I'm pretty sure I spotted a piece of crinoid stem in my fossil. I'll have to check again.

I've found all kinds of chert/jasper/chalcedony, etc. (often in the same rock, with druzy quartz and fossils too!) but not with these structures inside.

I honestly don't know why I'm so captivated by this piece! Probably because it's beautiful and mysterious, lol.

I’ve found a lot of fossils just like this. Scilicified with those layers and strange cells. I’m definitely thinking stromatoporoid or other sponge