Spinosaurus tooth

Dominik1922

Hello

I am from Austria so Sry for my English.

I have bought some fossils and want to ask some experts what they Think about it. 

The First is a spinosaurus tooth. 

What you Think about it, is he real and how much is it worth?20171213_173934.thumb.jpg.026b25dec9e32a4b7a5cfd11f208b8ce.jpg

And the Second one is what i Think a cacharodontosaurus. 

I know its Not in Perfect conditions but for me is important that they are real.:)

20171213_201423.thumb.jpg.5cd5745420a4e79ab6a300da550273df.jpg

Welcome to the forum

Your first tooth is a Spinosaurid and real but it appears to have a composite root with some repair.  Please take more pictures so we can have a better look.

Your second is real but will need more pictures to determine what it is.  What is the size.  It has had some repairs and the back may be composited, repaired or restored.

Thanks for your quick reply. 

I am Happy that they are real.:dinothumb:

Here are some other photos 

First from the spinosaurus 

20171213_205729.jpg

20171213_205253.thumb.jpg.2575f8fc71bd576ca344961a69804ca0.jpg

Thank you for the Spinosaurid pictures

The tip is restored and I don't think the root is real.  The crown is real between the arrows 

20171213_210638.jpg.ef36d8b2d94afa0cf99fe530f409ed08.thumb.jpg.b62f6ccf231d9bf59dd72a5bbe883f80.jpg

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Thank you for the Spinosaurid pictures

The tip is restored and I don't think the root is real.  The crown is real between the arrows 

20171213_210638.jpg.ef36d8b2d94afa0cf99fe530f409ed08.thumb.jpg.b62f6ccf231d9bf59dd72a5bbe883f80.jpg

That’s what I was thinking. :wacko:

The other tooth is a Carcharodontosaurid with some repairs.  Would like to see pictures tooth flat on table both sides straight down not at sn angle

3 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

That’s what I was thinking. :wacko:

It's amazing how much effort the Moroccans put in these teeth.  Nothing goes to waste, which if sold as restored would not be bad

Its sad thats Not all real because i have hoped its a real one.

But i am still Happy thats a little Bit real spinosaurus in it.:)

Thank you John makes life a but easier

The tooth is all there a bit weathered but I think Carch.  That dark area in the middle is where someone patched it and I do think the front and back belong to the same tooth but that subject for debate but to your point it's real.

We call the top tooth Spinosaurid because there appears to be multiple species of Spinos in the Kem Kem of Morocco and currently we cannot differentiate between species.  The two known are  Spinosaurus  and Sigilmassasaurus

Both of these have been restored using a mixture of matrix and superglue, and the spinosauride tooth looks to me like a composition, I hope you didn't pay too much for these and would advise finding a new seller as these are not of the greatest quality at all. The second one has me leaning towards a partial juvenile carcharadontosaurs tooth, having said that without a better look at the serrations its hard to identify. If your looking for spinosaruide teeth this is what you should in my opinion be looking for.

SP7-2.jpg

SP7-3.jpg

Ok thank you guys for your very helpful answers.

I am absolutely new at this area so i was very exciting when i have buy it:mellow:.

And what do you Think are the tooth worth? I dont want to sell it because i am so glad to have tooth from dinosaurs but i Hope i dont have paid to much.:P

I have paid for the First tooth After some discussion 100euro

And for the carchodontosaurus 15 Euro because the Seller didnt know which one These is he said.

I have bought it from a mineraldealer 

We do not do appraisals on the forum but I can say you paid much to much for that Spinosaurid tooth probably because the dealer thought the root was real

Just now, Troodon said:

We do not do appraisals on the forum but I can say you paid much to much for that Spinosaurid tooth. 

Agreed, way overpriced however although low quality I think the carch wasn’t too bad price wise 

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

Agreed, way overpriced however although low quality I think the carch wasn’t too bad price wise 

Agreed

Just now, Dominik1922 said:

Ok thats sad to hear . Next Time i will look more about those things. 

Thank you very much for your help.:mellow::)

Do not hesitate to post items you are interested in buying.  We can give you an opinion on the ID and quality 

Ok thanks for your offer. The Next Time i will do it.:dinothumb::)

Also thanks to all of you for the quick and helpfull answers. 

:)

Agreed with the overpriced however on the forums we do not do appraisals for a various number of reason, however you can always ask here what you think of a specimen and we can give you opinions on the quality, condition and degree of "real" product. In general i find it best to stay away from anything that looks like there has been super glue involved especially if i was ever to buy online as this is the way most of these fabrications occur due to "repair" when its blatantly a restoration.

I will do it Next Time because i was so glad about my buy and Now i am dissapointed because it seems to me very good.:(

So for the Next Time i know what i have to do:D

Actually. I think that root on the Spinosaur tooth might be real and not composited. Yes it has definitely been repaired and there are some parts that are filled in. So it looks a little rough. But all the white parts on the root are real, the blobby brown parts are filler. It looks like the white parts do attach to the tooth crown without any major gaps, which makes me think this root does belong to this tooth.

The second tooth definitely looks like a Carcharodontosaurid tooth. But it looks like it might be composited, or at least repaired.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived