Upper Cambrian mortality plate

terapoza

Hello.I found in my collection another very problematic piece. It was found in Tømte, Ringsaker district in Norway. This upper Cambrian black bituminous shale formation contains some anthraconite concretions and layers. This anthraconite or black bituminous limestone also called stinkstone because of characteristic smell when hammered is full of cephalons and pygidiums. Finally after few hours of research I choose two zones of Olenids. First is Olenus & Agnostus obesus zone, subzone Wahl ( Olenus wahlenbergi). Second choice is Agnostus pisiformis zone with Olenus alpha. In my opinion specimen below coming from Olenus wahlenbergi and Agnostus obesus zone. 

Any hints and other ideas will be very helpful.

20171213_193640.jpg

4 hours ago, terapoza said:

Hello.I found in my collection another very problematic piece. It was found in Tømte, Ringsaker district in Norway. This upper Cambrian black bituminous shale formation contains some anthraconite concretions and layers. This anthraconite or black bituminous limestone also called stinkstone because of characteristic smell when hammered is full of cephalons and pygidiums. Finally after few hours of research I choose two zones of Olenids. First is Olenus & Agnostus obesus zone, subzone Wahl ( Olenus wahlenbergi). Second choice is Agnostus pisiformis zone with Olenus alpha. In my opinion specimen below coming from Olenus wahlenbergi and Agnostus obesus zone. 

Any hints and other ideas will be very helpful.

20171213_193640.jpg

I’m not sure but here is a paper that might help: Olenelloidea.pdf.  (Sorry I had to reduce the file size to get it under the file size limit so the color photo looks a little weird.) I have contacted Dr. Lieberman about Olenellids by email in the past and he has been helpful answering my questions.  You might try reaching out to him.

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I’m not sure but here is a paper that might help: Olenelloidea.pdf.  (Sorry I had to reduce the file size to get it under the file size limit so the color photo looks a little weird.) I have contacted Dr. Lieberman about Olenellids by email in the past and he has been helpful answering my questions.  You might try reaching out to him.

Interesting article, but the trilobite in question is an Olenid (Order Ptychopariida) rather than an Olenellid (Order Redlichiida).

• I found this Informative 2

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

Here is the classic monograph on the Olenidae:

Henningsmoen, G. (1957)
The trilobite family Olenidae: with description of Norwegian material and remarks on the olenid and Tremadocian series.
Skrifter Utgitt av Det Norske Videnskaps-Akademi i Oslo. Matematisk-naturvidenskapellg klasse, 1957(1):1-303  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

44 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Interesting article, but the trilobite in question is an Olenid (Order Ptychopariida) rather than an Olenellid (Order Redlichiida).

Well that explains why they didn’t look familiar :blush:

And I did say it “might” help, I didn’t say it “would” help ;)