older the better

sorry not sure how to resize pics so I'm doing one at a time, looks like its coal... or asphalt, but its got a wood texture but as you can see in the first pic its checkered with some kind of fibrous material

IMG_6548.JPG

I found these on a gravel bar on the Neosho river in se Kansas, the surface rocks in my area are Pennsylvanian age and I mention asphalt because there is a bridge just up river but I think they are true fossils of some sort. you can see what looks like gastropods attached to the wood like material. 

IMG_6557_(2).JPG

It looks like a type of Carboniferous flora fossil (possibly Lepidodendron), but the texture is a bit strange and not as symmetrical as these usually are. It's most likely just very eroded. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

In 2010 @docdutronc posted a similar specimen from my collection of Megaphyton sp. on the Carboniferous Flora Forum of France.

"...a tree fern trunk from Braxton County, West Virginia, this trunk has two rows of diametrically opposite petiolar leaf scars framed by adventitious roots, the trunk is preserved in compression and very depressed, but this fern kept the typical scars.  The genus Megaphyton has a wide distribution across the Euramerican continent during the Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian)."

megaph12.jpg   megaph11.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice specimens. The attached gastropod-like things are Spirorbis (or microconchids, which is the newer identification of these little shells).

The freshness of the pieces indicates that a source outcrop may not be too far upstream. It would be worth checking out.

Context is critical.

cool thanks guys, I think you guys got it and I'm happy I didn't drag home 50 lbs of weathered shale or weird debris from the bridge construction just upstream 

Archived