Jurrasic Coast UK Recommendations ?

cck

Planning a trip to England this summer ... just want to hear opinions from the forum members on the general do's and dont's for collecting on the Jurassic coast, or recommendations of any kind... thanks! 

Do as much reading/research as you can before you go (there's a UK forum called Discuss Fossils which will repay reading), check the tides carefully, and stay WELL away from the sheer cliffs at Golden Cap because they are very dangerous. Lots of loose ammonites to be found in the pyrite patches, and you'll probably find a vert or two if you're there for a few days or so. Look for nodules (or concretions as they seem to be called everywhere else in the world!), and on a low tide, check the shale for icthyosaurs (you'd need luck on your side there).

Also, consider visits to other areas nearby which may be more productive (owing to the over-collection on the Jurassic coast), such as Somerset.

• I found this Informative 4

Beware of the tides, a book of tide times is useful, rockfalls or landslips, can be common in some places so be careful.

The coastal path is always a good starting point.

Charmouth near Lyme Regis is a good starting point as a lot of information can be gleaned from the Heritage Coast Centre there, as well as organized trips if you like. 

The Isle of Portland, Purbeck and Lulworth Cove are all worth a visit. 

Bring warm clothes, it can often be chilly even in summer and good boots and a sturdy bag are a must. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hey man, heres a great map i found from someone here when i first started. Very useful.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1BCKXsIzYcmHRB5Um78nIa9V_A9M&ll=54.64342096196364%2C-2.204046500000004&z=6

Then check https://ukfossils.co.uk for more info on that site.

I recommend the Yorkshire Coast around Whitby, Goodluck

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

One tip, be really careful of the tides. I know everyone is saying this, but the coastal exposures are in bays and the water comes all the way up, keep your eyes on the headlands not the cliffs and time your exit carefully. Also watch out for a few hundred tons of fresh material coming down. If it does that area will be closed off until it is stable again. SSSIs are sites of special scientific interest, there will be restrictions on some of them, such as no hammers. If there are rules then follow them. Collecting from loose material is easy and allowed almost everywhere and you just need a bag to carry your finds.

As a resident of The Jurassic Coast the above comments on the ukfossil.co.uk site has 35 locations of interest. If you have any specific interests as the Jurassic Coast also covers the whole of the Cretaceous with a few gaps. If we know your interests then I'm sure more detailed directions will be given.

Also as earlier watch the tides but adding to this is the wind direction as this can raise the hieght of the tide earlier than expected strong south westerlies are the worst.

On 15/12/2017 at 10:44 AM, LiamL said:

Hey man, heres a great map i found from someone here when i first started. Very useful.

;) 

if you you can get to The Isle of Wight that’s a great place too with many different eras. 

29 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

;) 

if you you can get to The Isle of Wight that’s a great place too with many different eras. 

Must have been you haha, i have had that bookedmarked since i saw it.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

On 12/14/2017 at 6:58 PM, cck said:

Planning a trip to England this summer ... just want to hear opinions from the forum members on the general do's and dont's for collecting on the Jurassic coast, or recommendations of any kind... thanks! 

Lyme Regis is a must-go. Ammonites and ammonite concretions a plenty at that location. A hammer is advised for the latter.:ammonite01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.