Whale Verterbra?

Dpaul7

Hello!

My older sister just sent me a large fossilized bone.  She lives near Raleigh, (Garner, NC) but years ago took her son on various fossil hunting trips with the local club.  I know they went hunting around Aurora, NC.  The is a vertebra; I know there are whale fossils in the area. She no longer remembers - I do think it is a small whale vertebra!  Any other opinions?  I am very pleased with it, but would like some input on an identification from a more experienced eye than mine, which is NOT TOO experienced in these matters!

Thanks for looking!

WB VERTEBRA 1.jpg

WB VERTEBRA 2.jpg

WB VERTEBRA 3.jpg

WB VERTEBRA 4.jpg

WB VERTEBRA 5.jpg

WB VERTEBRA 6.jpg

Yes, it looks like whale to me, probobly Suborder Odontoceti. a toothed whale. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I also think Whale but I can only imagine it is very difficult to get an ID from an isolated vertebrae . I have a couple of Whale vertebrae in my collection, that I really like also but I can’t get any where near to an species ID. Nice gift off your sister I wish my sister got me some thing cool like that.

Cheers bobby 

Maybe @Boesse will have a better idea of what it could be from. 

At the size listed, it could be from a small example of delphinidae. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for your input, folks!  I don't think I'll get a SPECIES identification.... but you never know!  Very  happy with it.  I now regret ALL the times I was mean to my big sister growing up!  :blush:

• I found this Informative 1

The white matrix with dark sand grains on the last photo makes me think this came from Miocene Pungo River Formation (assuming this is from North Carolina).

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed an odontocete caudal vertebra - and if from the Aurora area as stated, I agree with @Al Dente on the formation (the matrix also appears cemented). Further, this is quite elongate for a caudal vertebra, further supporting an age older than Pliocene (longer vertebrae = archaic features in odontocetes)

• I found this Informative 4