Max-fossils

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you the new logo I recently finished for my World Of Fossils website (I said previously that I would try to get it done by the end of 2017... But it's gonna take longer than that, because I basically have to restart. At first I was using Weebly, a simple drag-and-drop, but I decided to actually move on to my own domain and program everything using HTML, CSS and others. I'm lucky that my ICT teacher is helping me. So it's gonna take quite some time still before the website is finished I'm afraid.)

Anyways, so here is the logo. I watermarked it for copyright safety issues (as it's going publicly online, I'm scared that someone might steal the logo and claim it as their own). So, some info about it: 

the programs I used were Inkscape and Paint.net. The globe in the middle is a reconstruction of Pangea. The three fossils are, from left to right: a trilobite Gerastos tuberculensis from Morocco (bought), a cowshark tooth Notorhynchus cepedianus from Calvert Cliffs (traded), and a scallop Mimachlamys varia from the Zandmotor (found). All fossils from my collection. The drawings are made from actual pictures of the fossils. I quite like it, let me know what you think of it!

Best regards,

Max

Wof-logoblack-watermarked.png

Wof-logopng-watermarked.png

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Very nice, a great design. 

I like the one against the black background best.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice job looks great, I have designed lots of logos .I find it the hardest of any design brief is to create a logo. Nice touch with the Pangaea continent .

cheers bobby 

Looks good, Max! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe you could fill in present geography on the globe in some way .Most folks are not familliar with geodynamics,and might wonder what the green shape meant.

Not too shabby,actually

Nice logo.  Black or white they both look good.  Logo design is always had to do. 

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Maybe you could fill in present geography on the globe in some way .Most folks are not familliar with geodynamics,and might wonder what the green shape meant.

Not too shabby,actually

This above.

Great logo and as most have said, black is best. I assume you are looking for critique, not just a pat on the back (which you have from me). If so, I would say lighten the trilobite on the black background a bit so it compliments the pectin on the other side better . The trilobite tends to meld into the background too easily. Squint at the picture and you will see this blending much clearer.

My top tip is when ever I design a logo I do in back and white first. This helps me achieve the form I was hoping for . After that I work colour into it. Also this saves me a little time as I always add a black and white version in my package to the customers .

all the best Bobby 

Great job Max. 

I’d do several variations, print them out and evaluate them. Get others to look at them too, preferably not family or friends. You’ll get a more objective critique. 

@Tidgy's Dad @Foozil @Troodon @Bobby Rico @Fossildude19 @ynot @doushantuo @oldtimer @minnbuckeye @JohnBrewer

Thanks all for the nice comments! 

Oh, one thing, the “white” background is not actually white... It’s transparent (PNG), so that I can use it on a background if any color. And as the background of the TFF page is white, it gives a white background. And I added the black one so that the color contrast would be better (I know that the black one is indeed better, because the colors stand out more). 

@doushantuo interesting proposition, thanks for it, but do take into account that, when the logo will be smaller, tiny details will be hard to see and make the logo look messy. But what kind of things are you thinking of?

@minnbuckeye good idea, I’ll try that and see how it works out once I get back home. Thanks!

@Bobby Rico I hate working in black and white, and even though it’s a bad habit I always try to add colors in as soon as possible :P

@JohnBrewer that is why I asked you guys, because I knew that you would come with good feedback. I also asked a few other people, and had similar responses to you guys. I’ll also try making some small variations and see which ones I like best, thanks for the tip. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Nice logo.  I agree with the comments about favoring the black background and lightening the trilobite.  If you are thinking of putting the logo on different colored backgrounds you might even think about adding a border around all the fossils like you have done with the cow shark tooth to provide a clear separation from the background.  You could change the color of the border depending on the background color to provide contrast.  While I like doushantuo’s idea of adding outlines of current continents I think you are right about that making it too complicated when it is smaller.  In that regard the scallop probably already has too many lines.  Keep the logo clean and don’t be afraid to simplify the design so it “suggests” the shapes rather than being literal representations. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 11:49 PM, Nimravis said:

Very nice work.

Thanks Ralph :)

On 12/21/2017 at 6:59 AM, Sagebrush Steve said:

Nice logo.  I agree with the comments about favoring the black background and lightening the trilobite.  If you are thinking of putting the logo on different colored backgrounds you might even think about adding a border around all the fossils like you have done with the cow shark tooth to provide a clear separation from the background.  You could change the color of the border depending on the background color to provide contrast.  While I like doushantuo’s idea of adding outlines of current continents I think you are right about that making it too complicated when it is smaller.  In that regard the scallop probably already has too many lines.  Keep the logo clean and don’t be afraid to simplify the design so it “suggests” the shapes rather than being literal representations. 

Thanks for your advice! I like your outline ideas, if I do end up making more versions of it I will definitely take this into account.

Oh, the thing you say about the scallop, I get your concern, but here is the beauty about Inkscape (and this logo): it's a vector type of image. So basically, no matter how much you zoom in or out, the logo will normally never really become blurry or pixelated. Which allows me to add detail without losing quality. Then again, small text is always an annoying thing in logo making, because if you do zoom out you can't read it anymore and they just look like random ugly black dots... :D

Oh, also, sorry both for the late reply :wacko:

Max Derème

Archived