three vertebrae in question

austinswamp

Good evening, I have acquired these three vertebrae from a creek in Travis county where I regularly find shark teeth and echinoids. I have my suspicions on what they might be but would like a definite ID, thanks. Disregard the background ha

IMG_20171215_215822.jpg

Left to right looks like cetacean, cetacean, fish.

Can you give us a shot with something to show scale ( size)?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yes something for scale, even if it’s a quarter, but a ruler in the pic would be nice.

Very, very cool finds by the way. 

@caldigger I was not aware that North Texas had any species of cetaceans. I’d appreciate a little education on the topic if someone has any. I guess I thought the waters were a bit too shallow for them to thrive in. I’ll have to go look that one up. 

2 hours ago, ynot said:

OK, if from central Texas then 1 and 2 are most likely mosasaur.

Well...you know, one of those water critters!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I would need to see pics of each end but the first two look like Mosasaur and the last one is fish most likely Xiphactinus. 

3 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

Concave at both ends

Plesiosaur then. Nice find.

First two are mosasaur tail/caudal vertebrae. The third one is a nice Xiphactinus audax vertebrae. good finds! You said you find echinoids? May I see some pictures, don't really know of any place where you will find macro cretaceous vertebrates like this along with abundant echinoderms. The North Sulphur has the occasional echinoid but besides that nothing on my mind. 

15 minutes ago, NSRhunter said:

First two are mosasaur tail/caudal vertebrae. The third one is a nice Xiphactinus audax vertebrae. good finds! You said you find echinoids? May I see some pictures, don't really know of any place where you will find macro cretaceous vertebrates like this along with abundant echinoderms. The North Sulphur has the occasional echinoid but besides that nothing on my mind. 

Yea I'll show ya some when I get back home

1 hour ago, austinswamp said:

IMG_20171216_114952.jpg

2 hours ago, austinswamp said:

Concave at both ends

Lol that doesn't look concave on that end. I stick with my original ID as Mosasaur for the first two and large fish such as Xiphacinus on the 3rd pic.

1 hour ago, JarrodB said:

Lol that doesn't look concave on that end. I stick with my original ID as Mosasaur for the first two and large fish such as Xiphacinus on the 3rd pic.

Ha I see what ya mean now, my fault

16 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

Ha I see what ya mean now, my fault

Lol no problem. That's mainly what I find as you can see from my profile pic.  :)

17 hours ago, austinswamp said:

Good evening, I have acquired these three vertebrae from a creek in Travis county where I regularly find shark teeth and echinoids. I have my suspicions on what they might be but would like a definite ID, thanks. Disregard the background ha

IMG_20171215_215822.jpg

Lol I just noticed the background.