What is it?

Kingofthekats

Iron nugget I’d reckon, is it magnetic?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Its light but does not stick to a magnet it streaks brown when I bounce off the counter it has a ting sound 

34 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

Its light but does not stick to a magnet it streaks brown when I bounce off the counter it has a ting sound 

Then I’d guess limonite (an iron oxide mineral I believe) which streaks brown (Wikipedia:The streak of limonite on an unglazed porcelain plate is always brownish)

Also limonite is not usually magnetic, and can make a ting sound. Would be interested in what Tony has to say though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

should i cut a window in it?

Go ahead, could be hard to determine much from it though,being 4-5.5 on the hardness scale and glass being 5.5. See if it scratches a finger nail or a penny too.

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

Its white on the inside

DSCN8255.JPG

Then I’m more inclined to go with @GeschWhats idea, a fungus of some sort, maybe false truffle. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, Kingofthekats said:

I'm not sure what this is it is light and when dropped on the table sound like a rock.

As far I can see, looks to be a nice example of an ironstone concretion.

DSCN8252.JPG.2fec1cceea741055f12835ea653b5c6a.thumb.JPG.388dcae643f60c6cd080a1d1d7805421.JPGconcretion_003.jpg.a1a8b14793cca96e39e0b31266d7841c.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Kingofthekats said:

Its white on the inside

DSCN8255.JPG

If it has white squiggles on top I’m inclined to say it’s a decomposing Hostess cupcake: :blink:

IMG_0100.JPG.e0d0554e03f11325f28616331e9c70fd.JPG

I would like to see better focused pictures.

Also can You do a hardness test and see if it has a reaction to fire?

I an in the recent organic camp pending better information and pictures.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It has no reaction to fire can be easily scratched with a knife I tried scratching it on a window but did not work

DSCN8257.JPG

DSCN8259.JPG

DSCN8260.JPG

I really looks like a dried out seed pod.

I think this one needs an in hand examination by a geologist (amature or profesional) to be sure of what it is.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

I really looks like a dried out seed pod.

I think this one needs an in hand examination by a geologist (amature or profesional) to be sure of what it is.

I tend to agree.  If it is light, does it float in water?

Darn!  It was said it is light. Now I can see why you think it could be fungus if I look how's a Tuber .

...but, it was said "It has no reaction to fire"

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived