Troodontidae teeth in Kem Kem? (or a misidentified Abelisaur perhaps)

-Andy-

Recent, I came across several teeth from Kem Kem which intrigued me. At first thought, they reminded me of Troodon teeth, though their serrations were nowhere as big.

One seller labelled it as theropoda indet. Another called it Masiakasaurus. I thought they might even be Abelisaurid teeth.

What are your thoughts on these?

5a35cdf805ab8_fossiledinosauredentammonite(1)-500x500.jpg.a9894b970dbaa698afc22a60082b1c97.jpg Troo.jpg.9701124c9298136acd4f9ef76fab7e72.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I believe the first one is hamadasuchus, can't comment too much on the second one. Both very nice looking teeth by the way.

Matt

Edit- Looking at the serrations on the second one it does remind me of the characteristics of troodon however i believe that is no longer a valid taxon.

The serrations are far too defined for hamadasuchus imo. I'd lean towards some type of dinosaur but beyond that I am unsure.

Lots of funky teeth in Kem Kem like this one 171216203549262.thumb.jpg.b8978e6610d18c64eb1cbda422dd4690.jpg

171216203427761.jpg

Door number 3,  none of the above :D

I saw these teeth for sale and asked myself the same question.  Was very intrigued with them and almost bid on them but I actually thought  price was too high and not worth checking it out.  I finally came to the conclusion that I did not think they were dinosaurian but possibly, possibly a Pre-maxillary crocodyliform, could be wrong.  There are some weird dudes out there :) see pictures below.

A couple of points why I feel the way I do.  The base of these teeth does not look dinosaurian,  hollow and thin walled is not a typical characteristic you see on theropod teeth. The cavity appears to go too far into the crown.  The shape of the denticles also do not look like theropod although I would like a better view.  Too many red flags and too many weird crocs.

My two cents...

Screenshot_20171216-203001.thumb.jpg.5428e00dbe50ac431662275c7cb05833.jpgScreenshot_20171216-203050.thumb.jpg.59cbc30d5383dd294ef11f1048534ef1.jpgScreenshot_20171216-203214.thumb.jpg.929a02f2e70e8b2cc433a968271ab698.jpg

40 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

So...Troodon...are you an invalid taxon?:blink:

-Joe

:shakehead:  What too say.  Taxon yes but not family..:)

They like Stenonychosaurus better..

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

@-Andy-The teeth posted by zekky are clearly odd theropod teeth very very different than those that you are showing.

Noasaurid might be a possibility.

1 hour ago, zekky said:

Noasaurid might be a possibility.

Its possible they are anterior dentary or premaxillary ones.

• 2 weeks later...

SNAP!

It's from the Notosuchian crocodylomorph Araripesuchus wegeneri.

look at the root- it changes shape after the crown to a very circular and conical shape. This is typical of crocodiles, and a tell tale sign! :) 

Their dentition is highly variable, but they must be the prettiest little teeth! 

morph 3 2mm.jpg

3 hours ago, iow673 said:

SNAP!

It's from the Notosuchian crocodylomorph Araripesuchus wegeneri.

look at the root- it changes shape after the crown to a very circular and conical shape. This is typical of crocodiles, and a tell tale sign! :) 

Their dentition is highly variable, but they must be the prettiest little teeth! 

I agree with you but have a question.  The picture I posted above is from Araripesuchus wegeneri (from Sereno crock paper) which says its from Niger and A. rattoides is from the Kem Kem. I could not find any pictures of those teeth and the paper just had toothless jaws. Clarify species ?  Do they have different teeth?

Archived