Another Tumiocarcinus from New Zealand

RJB

Ok, tired of working on the fossil crabs from Washington and decided to start a Tumidocarcinus gigantius from New Zealand today.  Took most of my prep day.  I could not read what was ventral or dorsal, so just went ahead and scribed a hole.  It was just a guess and I had a 50% chance of gettiing it right, but no,,, Wrong!!!  Once I hit ventral I turned it over and started again.  Once I hit crab carapace on the other side I then turned it over and fixed the hole on the ventral side.  A two part apoxy putty and then rolled it around some of the dust and rock from the prep and it came out purty good?  If nothing else, its a heck of alot better than a big hole in the rock?  Still lots more time for this crab, but I can tell from the sides that the legs may be purty dang good?  We'll see.

RB

TC001A.JPG

TC001B.JPG

TC001C.JPG

Take two!

Actors back to your marks. Lights, camera, and..... Action!

Looking forward to seeing how this monster concretion preps out. Keep us posted with periodic pictures so we can enjoy the steps to the eventual masterpiece. Hope all the parts are there and this one is in good shape so you'll be rewarded for all the time it will take to bring it to light.

Cheers.

-Ken

:popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everybody.  and Ynot, there will be no tippy tippys on this crab.  Getting the tips on a Tumido is a bit rare cause the legs always go out further than the rock.  If you remember that last big prep job I did on that biiiiiiiiiig concretion that was split in half, the only reason I bought it was cause the chance on getting tips was greatly enhanced.  My electrition came over after I had prepped that and was quite amazed.  I told him someone could offer me $6000 for it and all I would do is laugh! 

RB

38 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ynot, there will be no tippy tippys on this crab.  Getting the tips on a Tumido is a bit rare cause the legs always go out further than the rock.

RB

Oh well, even without tippys I am sure You will make it look good.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

19 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Do you ever prep completely Ron, so just crab an no/little matrix? I guess you’d need to leave a little around legs &c. Would be cool to see

ive never done that.  I really do like the rock around a crab.

22 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The thing that amazes me is how Ron @RJB can even tell what he's looking at through such a small window in the rock!

Back in the 60's I bought a pair of those 'See Through' glasses from a comic book.  10 cents.  :)

RB

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

If you’ve never done it how do you know if you don’t like rock-around-a-crab?

Hey Johnny boy, Ive seen it done before.  I really do like the crab surrounded by rock, Just the way I am i guess.

RB

I got a late start today, but got almost 6 hours into this thing.    Besides being a bit sticky, this crab may turn out to be a dang nice crab?  Just hope that everything is there and where its supposed to be?   We'll see.  Lots of room behind the crab and also in front of the crab.  My fingers are crossed!!!

RB

TC001D.JPG

Been snowing purty good today but luckily I have a couple of Santa's elves that do most of my work for me.  That little garage, 20X16 is where most of the majic happens.  Merry Christmas everyone!!!  Wooooop!!!  Woooop!!!

RB

DSCN1350.JPG

Hey Ron, I take it that there were no signs of legs showing on the edges of the concretion.  If not..............humm....maybe they are in there tippy to tippy.  Look forward to the continuing developments in RB's crab fossil heaven.  

7 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Hey Ron, I take it that there were no signs of legs showing on the edges of the concretion. 

Hey Steve, yes, the legs are showing at the edges of the rock,, there will be no tippy tippy's!  Most of these Tumidos are this way.  The good thing is the oblong shaped rock witch will make for some good legs.

RB

I worked on this thing all day yesterday.  Most of that removing rock.   It is a bit sticky but at least im not fighting calcite.  The legs have a couple of issues but those are minor and there seems to be something wrong with the right claw?  Gots me a bit nervous!   But now its starting to look like a crab.  Going to be fun 3-D-ing this thing out.   Also looks to have leg #3 stacked underneath leg #2. 

RB

TC001E.JPG

That thing looks pretty bloody nice so far and those legs get out there a loooong ways.  Maybe not tippy tips but.......who cares.

Ok guys, Ive got another solid 6 hours into this thing.  Both claws have some problems though!!!  Uuuuuugh.  At least they are there.   I was very worried that they may be missing?  Gots to look on the bright side of things when preppiing.  Heres an update picture.  Got 2 or 3 more prep sessions, (about 6 hours for a prep session),  to get this thing finished?  

RB

TC001F.JPG

Archived